Hi again smile

None of us can ever be sure that someone won't hurt us.
Anything could happen at any time which could result in any one of us being hurt.

Lightning strike.
Bus out of control.
Nutcase with a gun.
The list is endless, isn't it?

My son keeps telling me about the number of vending machine related deaths there are every year!

And there are bad people out there.
Bad people who will con us and hurt us.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just stating the obvious ~ there are bad people who do hurt people; there are freak accidents, which will hurt people.

What are we supposed to do?

428pm, you are now in the same position as a lot of other women ~ you are at the beginning of a relationship.
How can any woman know, for sure, that she hasn't made a bad choice?
No-one can.

You made a mistake last time ~ but probably you saw what so many of us see ~ the good side of a person, whose bad side was very bad. That is a positive aspect of your character ~ not a negative one, in spite of what happened. You are being careful not to make another mistake. It seems to me that, this time, you are trying to protect yourself by doing the opposite of what you did before.
Perfectly understandable, in my opinion.

I feel that you need to give yourself and him a chance.
However, I know that people telling you what they think you should do is not going to help. It may even make you feel more stressed.

You are the only person who can work out what you can cope with and when.

Only you can make the decisions.

But perhaps you could think of this man as your protector?
He sounds very patient and very caring ~ but I don't know him.

You know him.
Do you have any reason to think that he may not be as nice as he seems?
Do you know his family and friends?
Does everyone speak well of him?

Take it slowly and, hopefully, the trust will grow, and he will turn out to be a good man.

I think that your responses are the same as they would be for most of us, if we were in your position.

Good luck and take care. smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.