From PDM
Quote:
However, how does one stop oneself falling in love with someone else, if one already has a partner?

I think you nip it in the bud and don't let it get even close to that point. It doesn't take long to see who you have chemistry with... platonic or otherwise. If you are married or in a committed relationship - I believe that if you even see the potential for "chemistry", then you treat that relationship at an arm's distance, to prevent the chance for progression. Its one thing to be in your twenties and have lots of mixed gender friendships - but my experience is that alot of those "friendships" progress to something more. Thus, I do not think it is normal once married, to allow oneself to develop a close friend of the opposite gender (or same gender if you are homosexual I guess smile ). Even though you may miss out on some great platonic friendships, it diverts the risk of getting entangled in something you don't want to be. I do believe you can fall in love with more than one person - which is why it can take some work to avoid that simultaneously! And as Mrs.JF mentioned - there are emotional affairs as well - and even platonic, I think if you find yourself confiding in somebody more than your spouse, or sharing too many private jokes, then you are headed for trouble.
It takes a mature person to avoid these situations. You must not allow yourself to get caught up in the moment or to enter a "friendship" blindly.