Originally Posted By: Pudgie's mom
... Part of the problem with Sonny and D.-in-Law is a sense of entitlement, and I know that drives many people of my generation (and up) absolutely nuts. S. & D.-in-L. have expressed their desire for a dresser/bureau that had been Sonny's as a child, but then say, "I see (sigh!) that you're using it in the guest bedroom, so... sigh..." I find myself astonished at such pushy, greedy, leech-like behavior, but I hear it goes on all the time ....

It does sound as if he thinks that he has first entitlement to his father's time, money, love, etc, which, I think, is down to the 'wicked stepmother stealing Daddy away' scenario. And, I must admit, I do have some sympathy with that. I'm not saying that his father wasn't entitled to fall in love again, or that the boy should have been rude to you, or anything else of that nature ~ just that it must be very hard for a youngster to suddenly have to share the father he has had to himself for a number of years ~ and not even with his own mother, but with someone who he feels has invaded the family.

As for the dresser.
Who actually owns it?
Was it just part of the general furniture that was in the home when he was a boy?
Who bought it?
Did it actually belong to him?
Was it bought specifically for him?
Did his mother own or buy it?
Does he have good reason to believe that he has more right to it than you do?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.