I am very lucky to be in a happy marriage, but no marriage is always perfect, and, if you love each other, and want it to work, it's worth trying to save.

On the other hand, I know of couples who really just were never meant to be. They divorced, amicably, and went on to find happiness with other partners.

When boyfriends and girlfriends split, we kind of expect it & accept it. We realise that they must have discovered that, for them, it wasn't meant to be forever.

However, once couples have taken the step into marriage, it is assumed that they should keep trying.

So, the question is, does this couple feel that they made a mistake in marrying?
Would they be better off as just friends ~ or even strangers?
Do they both feel the same way?

If so, then maybe it's time to call it a day.
But I am no expert, so if the couple wants to do everything they can to try to save it, then I'm guessing that marriage guidance would be a good thing to try.

Also, I would always recommend the books of John Gray to couples who want it to work, but for whom there seem always to be arguments and misunderstandings. His books (the Venus & Mars series) help explain the differences between the thought processes of men & women ~ and also what they mean when they speak and how they are interpreted when they are heard.

My husband & I rarely argue, but I used to find that we didn't always seem to understand each other's actual words. It sounds weird. We both speak the same language, after all! But men & women interpret things differently. 'Women Are From Venus & Men Are From Mars' was really useful in this area. (I also think that some women think in a more male way, & vice versa, so the books can help with all sorts of misunderstandings.) There are also other books on the subject, by other authors.

I sound as though I work for Gray & am on commission! But not at all!! I just bought some of his books & found them very interesting & useful. I'm guessing that they would be available at the library.
Here is the website:
http://home.marsvenus.com/

Last edited by PDM; 12/07/09 09:16 AM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.