PDM has given you very good advice. I agree with her and your thinking. If two people are truely in love they should be able to get through anything. There in may lie your answer. She is telling you that she loves you, however, perhaps she is too inexperienced to know what true love is or perhaps she loves you but is not truely "in love". There is a fine line between the two, non the less there is a difference. In any case, it truely is love on your part and you need to deal with the relationship as it is in the present for your own sake. Your heart needs closure and explanations and understanding before you can begin to put your life back on track. You might try to find that understanding by doing as PDM suggested. Perhaps you can call her and ask if you both can meet to have a conversation as friends. You could let her know that you accept her feelings and would like to talk about a couple of things that will help you gain closure. You might also explain you feel it would help you both go on with your lives from here. If you let her know that you would like to part as friends and you don't want to do anything that makes her feel uncomfortable she may be willing. You also might let her know it would mean a lot to you in light of the fact that you still care a great deal for her and it would help you accept her decision. There are many ways you could approach her but being gentle and sincere should not drive her away.
I truely think that your age difference should not make a difference because it doesn't seem to be that great however that is the reason she has given. Perhaps there is another reason, and this just seemed to be the easiest way to break off the relationship. In any case, she should be willing to make it easier for you if not for herself also. If she is not willing, sadly, you may have to admit that perhaps she needs some time to grow up and realize what you really mean to her or you may have to admit that she does not love you as she should. I know it is painful, but there are ways to deal with the loss and there are supportive groups and others who are going through what you are. Try to center on constructive ways to either share your feelings with friends or constructive ways to occupy your time while she deals with her feelings. If you concentrate on yourself and being the same confident person you were before, it will make you much more attractive to her and to others. It will get easier even though it doesn't seem so now. Your probably saying to yourself "that is easier said than done". I too have had to accept similiar circumstances and the panic makes you not know what to do. You are so afraid that you will loose them if you do the wrong thing or if you don't do something. The truth is, sometimes the harder we hold on the faster they run away. Try your best to stay focused on the fact that there isn't really anything you can do that you haven't already, to prove that you love her. Sometimes abscence is the very thing that keeps you in their mind. If she truly loves you she will not forget you and if she comes back you want it to be because she can't forget you because she truely loves you.

Cookie and Sweetie