Hello Bigeric ~ welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about this ~ especially as your girlfriend felt pressured into ending the relationship, rather than making such a decision without pressure.

Was it family, or college friends?

Maybe relationship counselling could help.

Perhaps she just needs time to think this over a bit and then you could talk about it and she might change her mind.

I know people who have had relationships involving large age differences and, I must admit, the ones I have known have not been particularly successful after the first few years. Maybe this thought is what is troubling her. 16 years is quite a long time ~ but not so long that it would automatically have to cause problems.

Whatever the age gap, 21 is pretty young to be certain of anything long-term, so, even if you had been of a similar age, she might have been having second thoughts now. As you say, she is still just a college-girl.

You love her, miss her and want her back. Perhaps you could write and confirm this to her, and suggest that you meet to talk things over. The relationship is yours and hers ~ not her friends', but, I will say that if my daughter wanted to date a man 16 years older than her, I would have reservations.

I would imagine, though, that those reservations could be overcome, depending on the circumstances.

Do you know her parents?
Do they get on well with you?

Good luck!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.