Originally Posted By: JoeNathan
.... On a date, I would buy her meal, hold a door open for her, compliment her (NOT TOO MUCH, once... maybe twice during the whole evening.) Do the classic gentleman type of things.

Now when it comes to women, I can see where some of this might come across as being too nice. But, when I get the sense that I'm being too nice, I try every now and then to be a jerk. ...

Now that could just confuse and irritate someone.

I'll try to give you some honest feedback, so please don't be offended.

From my point of view, I like people to be courteous & friendly, but being over-polite, to the point of being obsequious, would make me feel very uncomfortable indeed and probably irritated, too.

If someone made me feel uncomfortable in this way, and then started 'playful poking and teasing', I would become yet more irritated and even annoyed ~ wondering what they were up to.

If this person later phoned me and left a message, I might not feel inclined to call back.

However, some time later, I might think that the person is basically very nice & meant well, but was probably nervous at the time. I might then get back in touch with them, rather than allow them to think that I disliked them, etc.

If the person then became irritated and angry with me, I would assume that I should probably not have bothered to e-mail them.

Does this ring true, perhaps?

Quote:
'My question is, should I just let it roll off my back and say, "It's ok." OR should let her know how I feel that its taken her this long to get back with me AND that it wasn't a phone call like it should have been!!'

It depends on what you want.

Do you want to keep this casual friendship going or not?

If you think that this girl is not nice and genuine, then maybe you don't mind losing her.

But if she is nice, and you don't have many friends, maybe she is very valuable to you.

Maybe it is annoying that it took so long to get back to you, but maybe she's been away, or ill, or busy, or had family commitments, etc. Maybe she had a boyfriend, even.

If you feel that you need to say something about how long it has taken, then do so, but beware of the effect that it might have.

As for saying 'it wasn't a phone call like it should have been!!' ~ well, I'm afraid I don't agree with you. You cannot tell other people what they should do. There is no rule to say that she has to use a telephone rather than e-mail to contact you. There is no rule to say that she had to contact you at all.

Are you, perhaps, expecting too much of others and imposing rigid rules on yourself and on them?

Good luck smile

Last edited by PDM; 11/11/08 10:24 PM. Reason: typos etc

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.