I understand ~ at least, I think that I do.

When I was younger, I sometimes used to go for lunch with attractive male colleagues, and my husband didn't worry about it, because he completely trusted me and he knew that I could not deceive him if I tried. My Dad thought that it was very odd and said that he would not have been happy if it had been his wife.

The thing is, that no matter how nice these young men were, or how attractive, or how friendly, I ~ and they ~ knew who my partner was. I could enjoy their company ~ but that was all. We were just friends.

However, if I had gone out with just one of them, alone, for an evening, I really think that this would have been a different matter. I think that I would then have over-stepped a boundary ~ and I'm guessing that my husband might have thought so, too ~ especially if my companion were to have bought me expensive gifts.

So I agree that it is possible to have close friends, who are 'just friends', but if one member of a couple is unhappy about boundaries, then I don't see how this can be ignored.

My husband works with several women, and the job sometimes takes them away from home, but I trust him and see nothing to worry about.

But ... if my husband went out, alone, with a woman, who bought him expensive gifts, but who was just 'a friend', would I be concerned and upset?

Yes! Very!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.