Angela, this may scare you but I am in a coven, of sorts, half Druid and the other half Celtic but we are all family and we all respect each others study of choice. We all worship the same "Gods" in nature and perform our primary rituals as a family together. I just found out a couple of years ago that I have this wonderful and amazing group of people on my mother's side of the family so I am fairly new at this.

My point being, as it relates to your story, is that in your compromise you and your partner could consider having a hand-fasting and a potluck for the people that come. My circle calls it a "binding" or "wrapping of the hands" which signifies your love for one another. You could have a JOP or a Unitarian Minister reside over the ceremony and, without getting too deep into ritual, you could recite some rehearsed lines to each other, explaining your intentions, and then the Minister would wrap your hands in a three foot long wetted piece of silk or leather.

It is a very cheap and beautiful ceremony. I have seen four of these in the past year or so. They usually take place near streams or large unique trees. We had one in our chanting cave and that one I did not care for, It was cold and wet.

This is a tradition that predates the Mesopotamia's in northern and central Europe. Imagine yourself in a beautiful spring dress cut slightly above your knees, your hair pulled up with only a vine halo and Easter lilies holding it up with your favorite friends and father their, in nature, ready to give you to the man you love. Then as your lover approaches you he simply pins a Rose on your dress and you remove the Halo so your hair falls free and he can see the entire physical beauty of your lineage drawing him deeper into the ceremony.

Usually the Wrapping is followed with lots of drinking and dancing and then the entire family helps with the cleanup the next day.

Just remember though you always need an alternate plan for weather like having it in a barn or someone's home.

These are just my opinions and I submit them to you solely as ideas for your debacle.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”-Johann Goethe