You say that she always loved you, even when you didn't show your feelings, and acted as if you 'didnt really care', so I wonder why she feels that she can only be friends now?

Was it because the arguments were so bad that she can't get over them? ~ I imagine that being left to find her own way home must have given her reason and opportunity to question your personality.

Or was this an opportunity that she was waiting for ~ even if only subconsciously, I wonder?

This does happen.
A couple may appear to be in love, perfect for each other, ready to settle down, etc, when, apparently quite suddenly, it can all fall apart. This may be because one of the parties realises, deep down, that this may have been a wonderful relationship, but it is not 'the one'.

In such a case, if the opportunity arises for a break, then the relationship may come to an end.

I imagine that she is feeling confused and upset, and wondering what is the right thing to do.

So, as Jessica says, if you are patient, and respectful of this girl's wishes, then this might work out, but you must be prepared for it to dwindle into 'just friends'.

Good luck smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.