Hi Alice,

It is not uncommon for a boyfriend to develop some jealousy over his girl's friends. And sometimes it is true that one can connect with their friends in a way that one cannot connect with one's significant other. It is a different kind of relationship, and a different kind of love, and usually, it is so understood that that kind of relationship and that kind of love is not a threat to the romantic relationship between boyfriend and girlfriend, that no issue ever arises.

However, there are a few select men who are insecure enough to feel threatened by this kind of relationship. And I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but generally, once you discover that that's who you are dating, you should run in the other direction.

Women nowadays are more or less taught to think that it's sweet when a man is protective of her. And it is. But there are limits. This kind of jealousy is not rational, and therefore it crosses the line into possessiveness, which is not OK. It sounds to me like this guy is not willing to share you with anyone, which forces you into a position that no one should be forced into.

And I know how much getting out of a relationship stinks, but the bad feelings will pass, and you will find a man who's more understanding of the fact that you can't halt your life for him and sever all ties with the people who came before him.

I'm sure this guy had plenty of good qualities--otherwise you wouldn't have tried so hard to stay together--but try not to spend all of your energy grieving your relationship with him. Instead, be thankful that he showed you who he really is, take a look at yourself and think about whether or not there is any truth to what he said, and then find yourself a man with a little more self confidence.

Good Luck! smile