I didn't make it to 28 years. Mine was only 21 years.

Some observations - you've only been split for a little more than a year, and less than that divorced. Most people carry emotional baggage longer than that.

It may be too early to think about holding someone to commitment (including yourself).

Next, the person that I developed a relationship with, and subsequently married - after my divorce - liked being with me and I liked being with her. But many of the family gatherings were still either excluding me, or there were vibes that the kids (older, college age) preferred their Dad in the picture. I could understand that, but my new wife allowed herself to be pulled in every direction - a controlling Mom, kids who still pulled at her, and me.

There were times that I was included also, and not all was bad, but it didn't really feel like a family to me.

When I decided that relationship had to end, I worked on me. A year later, I met my soul mate. Her kids and her grandkids are mine as well as hers. And mine are hers. Everything is much better.

Your situation may work out. But don't expect too much and put pressure on her and you. And the question asked by Kel I would ask also - are you open to sharing her interest in her family?

They are not going away. And if you expect that, then perhaps you are being selfish.

Hope I wasn't too blunt. Naturally, my observations are from my own experiences and represent my own opinions.

Good luck.

Marge is the love of my life.