I really need help in trying to understand...

Synopsis of my bf and I...

We are amazing together, we got closer even through LDR. I love my boyfriend so much and I know he loves me because we would talk about being together and getting married and we will cry when talking about it. I have this problem, even though my boyfriend has never given me a reason to make him seem like a bad guy, my mind can get warped. My ex did a number on me and I thought I grieved and let go...but this past weekend my boyfriend left his phone somewhere, and I didn't hear from him, and I started thinking the worst. He always calls because that is our system, we always text or call but he didn't and I didn't know he left his phone somewhere, he always has his phone...and somehow I thought he left me and had sex with someone else.

In reaction to all the bad thoughts that was whirling in my mind, I cancelled our status of our relationship in facebook, wrote him an email saying he should leave me and it was bad. My bf thought I really did break up with him, and he shut down.

I told him I was sorry that I betrayed his trust and made him think I was leaving him. I said that no issues should have made me say that. Both of us have abandonment issues. But he said he needs time and space from me. He said he loves me and he remembers everything but he feels dead inside and he needs time and he hopes he can get himself back. All his friends and family say he is not the same...I don't know what to do or think.

He didn't deserve me saying that...I have never reacted like that before...and I love this man so much...and I am afraid he will never be able to open back to me. We are so close, we are like best friends and connected....and now I think I am never going to get that back.

I have never done anything like this before,, I was shocked at myself after everything happened...I am very good to him and he is very good to me... I know I broke him when i made him think he lost me...

Quesiton 1

1) Will he ever let me back in? How can I help that process?

2) Why do guys need time and space? When I said I need time and space, he won't even give it to me because he said if we don't work it out together then we might get used to it so even though it was hard, I let him back in...but he said he can't for this, he needs time and space...I need to understand this because he has never been the kind of guy who wants to resolve our problems individually.

He said when he is in great emotional pain he shuts down and after that it's a done deal. But with me he knows he still loves me and he said he hopes he can get himself back...he said he has never experience wanting to unshut after shutting down...which is why he needs time and space....

Please guys...help me understand. He asked for two weeks and it's excruciating...