Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Cleaning out my wardrobe and wondering how many tees a person needs. Not sleeping tees or tees for dirtywork (like painting,gardening or mechanics), but regular presentable tees.

I have just pared things to be under 20, but still think that is a ridiculous amount of tee shirts. I will be working my way to a dozen.

How many tee shirts do you have and what kinds/colors are they? Do you think you have too many?

I
Gold Star Soulmate
Gold Star Soulmate
I
well jilly your talking about how many a person NEEDS or has...

too many folks get caught up on they are cheap easily disposable ... and colors and logos or scenes...i dont generally buy a t-shirt for say presentable dress ware...because i dont consider them in that category..... at all.

reg. summer tops or blouses i use for that...

otherwise my T's are what i call bang around clothing... and where they are easily washable and dryable i dont need many...if they begin to wear or fade throw out cheap enough to buy a couple more here or there...for me a half dozen is plenty, for a man, twice that...replace as needed

my "real" clothing space is more important than to have to have a entire draw devoted to T's of any nature...even nite sleep ones

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 10/16/11 02:39 AM.
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
We have different opinions on what is presentable and I will leave it at that. I just wear tee shirts everywhere and hardly anything else. Can't say i want to be judged on that but i did post it in a publicly viewed forum.

Mainly I wanted to open a conversation on what people have in their closets. Maybe we can encourage each other to pare items down. smile

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I have too much of everything I think smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Love my tees and wear/prefer them most of the time too Jilly. Perfectly presentable for places I go most often.
LOL I must not love em quite as much as you do tho. 20?? Holy moly!
I guess the number of shirts or whatever might depend on how often you do laundry too. If you do laundry daily like I do, you don't need so many..but if you only do laundry once a week or every 2 wks or more...well ya need enough to last that long right??

I do have a problem wit holding on to things that I "might" wear again some day. Or MIGHT fit again. THAT is one thing I need to work on.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
My dad has lots more tees than I. He has some very nice ones that I love. I always raid his closet when i visit. smile

I think a lot of this depends on the kind of tee shirt. to me, they are just shirts. Some are very soft, drape nicely, and have rich, flattering colors.

I do laundry every two weeks or so, sometimes longer. I just wait until there is a big enough pile to be worth doing, so i don't have to waste water on a small load.

I still want to get down to a dozen tees. The older ones are finding their way into the chore clothes/rag bag, slowly. Of course the tees i like the most get the holes in them fastest. smile

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Oh, and yes, i understand totally on the MIGHT fit into idea. I don't know what to do with the fat shirts and skinny shirts. frown

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
lol Fat jeans, skinny jeans...wishful thinking jeans!
and of course the holy most comfy jeans ya can't part with crazy whistle

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I have read in the organizing books that the frequent advice is to get rid of everything that does not currently fit. And then to buy new stuff when your size changes.

But i find that unrealistic as my weight fluctuates between 20 pounds or so regularly.

Sometimes the book advice isn't always the best advice. But it still means i have too many clothes.

I think i have really done enough pruning for right now, since I am coming out of the hot season and have no idea what i will and won't wear going into fall/winter. So i will keep my eye on what I wear and don't wear, and what looks good and doesn't, as i go. Then reassess in a few months.

Does that sound reasonable?

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I have been very actively paring down my tshirt collection with each time the BigBrother BigSister truck comes through. I would guess I have 15 left. I do biking / kayaking / etc. type of stuff and wear tshirts for those - and plus in the summer I wear tshirts as my daily wear since I don't leave the house. I can easily go 2 weeks between washes since in the summer it's just tshirts and shorts so the laundry bin takes a while to get full enough to do a full load with.

Each one that I have left is one I really love. Like the one I got working at a mountain bike rally in New Hampshire. And the one with a Japanese symbol for love on it. And the pink shirt that says Bermuda with a heart. So now we're down to ones that would be hard to give up.

It's winter now though, so they all sit in a back closet - now I'm wearing my collection of probably 8 matching sweatshirts, all the exact same size, in a set of colors. They are much bulkier so I need to do wash more regularly now, I can fill up the washing machine after about a week with these. Again since I work at home, I pretty much work in sweats. So this is all I wear all winter, except the few times I leave the house.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site