Next Thread
Print Thread
#403538 07/27/10 02:12 PM
M
mel26 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am very confused and frustrated.
I recently got back in touch with an ex. Before long we were exchanging hundreds of flirty texts and next thing we were meeting up. In the end we got a hotel room and spent the night together.
But I noticed before our crazy night of passion he was cooling off saying this isn't right and he'll only hurt me. Now he has pulled the plug completely saying while he finds me beautiful and is certainly still attracted to me he just wants our relationship to be platonic.
I'm going crazy because I don't want to get back into a relationship..but I didn't want the flirting and things to stop. He is completely addictive.
We were together five years ago and he pulled away after exactly a month. Now he has just gone and done the same thing to me again. What is his problem? I know he is a commitment phobic (he hasn't been in a relationship since us and I know this because we have mutual friends) but why won't he (at the risk of being crude) sleep with me again?
I always thought men weren't too complicated but maybe I was wrong. I don't want him to marry me: I just want to have fun with him. We are meeting up this week and I want to tempt him! Help, anyone?!

P
Friend
Friend
P
Are you kidding me. First of all, respect yourself and your body and stop sleeping with him. You are as addicted to him as he is to drugs or alcohol. Take care of yourself first!!!

M
mel26 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I understand where you're coming from and thank you for the frank advice.
But this doesn't stop me thinking about him non stop. I know I seem ridiculous and if I was an outsider observing I would have said the same thing. But I don't think this addiction is going to go away anytime soon. I have an itch I need to scratch it! And don't worry I'm taking care of myself. There's only one of me. But the question remains..how do I tempt him!?

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: mel26
I am very confused and frustrated. ...
.... why won't he (at the risk of being crude) sleep with me again?
... I don't want him to marry me: I just want to have fun with him
.... I want to tempt him!...
.... I have an itch I need to scratch it!
...the question remains..how do I tempt him!?

This isn't the sort of advice I can give, or would wish to give, but I might be able to give some insights, perhaps.

My guess is that you are already perfectly capable of tempting him.
You have proved that twice already ~ for a month or so each time.
But maybe he doesn't want to be tempted.

You say:
'I always thought men weren't too complicated but maybe I was wrong'.
Yes, maybe you were. Men are people, after all. There are all sorts of people in the world and some may be more complex than others.

You 'just want to have fun' but maybe he wants something more from a relationship.

Or maybe he actually wants less. You say that he does not want commitment ~ maybe being with you for a month, and then another month, looks too much like commitment for him.

Or maybe he wants both more and less. More of a real long-term relationship, which necessitates less of the shallow, fun-type of relationship.

Or maybe he doesn't know what he wants.

'He finds [you] beautiful and is still attracted to [you]', so, as I said, I think that you can, and do, tempt him ~ but, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to want to be tempted; 'he just wants [your] relationship to be platonic'. He says that sleeping with you 'isn't right'.

He also says that 'he'll only hurt [you]'.
I wonder what he means by that.
Have you asked him?

It could be that he wants someone else, perhaps.
But it could mean that he, too, isn't interested in marriage and that he, too, just wants to have fun, but that he is worried that you might want something more.

After all, you do say that, though you 'don't want to get back into a relationship' and 'don't want him to marry [you]', you are 'going crazy' and 'didn't want the flirting and things to stop' because 'He is completely addictive' ~ and you are 'thinking about him non stop'.

So, are you really being honest with yourself?

I would suggest, since you are seeing him again soon, that you have a serious discussion with him about what you each want from life, and from each other.

Tell him exactly how you feel and ask him if he feels the same way.

Ask him what 'isn't right' about your relationship.
Ask him what he is worrying about as far as hurting you is concerned.
Reassure him that you just want to enjoy happy times with him and that you are not, at present, considering a long-term commitment (if that is really true.)

Being on the same wave-length is probably going to feel more attractive to him than romantic fragrances or fancy lingerie.

But I don't know. I cannot say what might be going on in his mind. Maybe he just doesn't want to be the object of an addiction.

The best thing would be to talk to him.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
M
mel26 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Dear PDM,

I must say I have found your advice very helpful. This guy has said before that he is not looking for a girlfriend and doesn't even think he wants a relationship. Ever. And I believe him. He just doesn't have relationships. I have seen over the years him only being solo.
By 'hurting me' he means that he has hurt me before emotionally by breaking up with me so suddenly and he is worried he will do the same again. He likes me very much as a person and really doesn't want me to get emotionally involved.
So hence the pulling away. I have been thinking back on everything he has been saying over the last few weeks and the conversations we have had and come to think of it he has been very honest. But his actions and words have sometimes not added up. For example one time he got all serious and said maybe we should stop this flirty texting and next thing he was doing it all over again. And the next time we met I hadn't been in his company five minutes and he was kissing me.
Which leads me to my next conclusion and where you particularly make sense. He is tempted by me. In the couple of times we met up he said he couldn't help himself. So now if the conversation veers towards anything sexual he becomes blunt and changes the subject. On meeting up next week it seems he has ensured we will be in a public place. I should probably take this as a compliment.
So at the end of the day I feel I should respect his wishes and just go with the flow. It's obvious I do like him as more than a bit of fun and maybe he is doing me a favor. So I'm just going to meet him, be myself and be casual. I think it might bother him that I will appear so nonchalant and doing just fine without him. If this leads to something else then great and if it doesn't I'll just have to get over it.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Sometimes it is just a case of being honest and objective about a situation. It is hard to do, but can often provide the necessary answers.

Good luck smile

I
Gold Star Soulmate
Gold Star Soulmate
I
the best relationships START with a solid friendship foundation...an honesty is a plus...just enjoy your moments together without the "what if's"...cherish the time you have together and have fun ...dont become aloof...be yourself always. Wishing you the ultimate best...

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: illusive Fantasy
the best relationships START with a solid friendship foundation ...
I agree!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site