Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#200281 07/18/07 05:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some thoughts or advice on my current situation...

My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year and decided to break-up recently. He initiated the break-up although if I'm honest it was only a matter of time before I would have brought it up. We both agree that it wasn't bad but also that it wasn't great for quite some time.

We had certain problems that we weren't dealing with such as communication issues (being a big reason for me). And we had developed a bad habit of taking each other for granted.

He added to this also said that he didn't think we had enough in common and that he didn't he think we were soul mates or that it was true love.

In a later conversation, we were opening up about our issues and he brought up that he had never really got over a previous relationship with a girl who had very similar past and life as him. He said that he hasn't been able to truly be in love since that person hurt him so by breaking-up with him. He really believed they were meant to be together but she disagreed and had many grievances with their relationship.He realized that they both wanted different things in life but hasn't been able to move on or be open to being in love again despite countless relationships afterwards.

He had never discussed this with me while we were together, and I believe that would have made a big difference in our interaction. I often felt as if he was hiding something but I was afraid to speak up on the issue. We discussed this a bit more, but he thinks it's too late and that we are both better off as friends.

For the moment, I agree with this and am enjoying getting to know him again through our new conversations as it has been really eye-opening.

There is one point of confusion in this for me and that is even though we are no longer together he still wants to be affectionate with me (such as holding each other, kissing my back and arms). I brought up that this may mix-up emotions but he said he doesn't think it does. Still, I am a bit perplexed with his need to be that physically close especially since we seem to be meeting as often, if not more often then we did while we were together and as he is eager to keep doing so.

Our relationship was never typical. We didn't have a clear beginning and it seems like the ending is like that as well. I still love him very much. And I must admit, I wouldn't dismiss trying again sometime in the future but we both need to work on ourselves before that happens.

I guess I am looking for some perspective on the situation.

Thanks in advance.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Welcome to the forum soulsearcher! smile

You get on well together but both realised, after about a year, that the relationship wasn't quite as it should have been.

You weren't communicating well, but were just together because you were together ~ rather than because you had shared interests or because it was simply a great relationship ~ and this was beginning to feel uncomfortable for both of you.

Having broken up, the communication has been given an opportunity to begin. He feels comfortable enough with you now ~ now that you shouldn't be jealous, because you are no longer his girlfriend ~ to tell you some of his innermost thoughts and concerns ~ the sort of things you might only share with a soul-mate, perhaps.

He didn't think that you were soul mates at the time. He felt that you weren't truly in love at the time ~ presumably because of the love he still has for this other girl. He hasn't got over the longing and the pain, yet ~ or at least the memory of it ~ even though he has had other girlfriends.

Since lack of communication seemed to be part of the problem, it is not surprising that you feel that these conversations are improving your relationship and could have done so earlier. And I think that it's good that you can both be happy to continue getting to know each other as friends ~ which is what you both seem to want at present.

But you still love him very much, and he wants to kiss and cuddle. Some might consider this to be him having his cake and eating it ~ but is he that type of person? Perhaps he just needs some comfort as he relives something that caused him a lot of pain.

You wrote:

Quote:
'There is one point of confusion in this for me and that is even though we are no longer together he still wants to be affectionate with me (such as holding each other, kissing my back and arms). I brought up that this may mix-up emotions but he said he doesn't think it does. Still, I am a bit perplexed with his need to be that physically close especially since we seem to be meeting as often, if not more often then we did while we were together and as he is eager to keep doing so.'

I think that you need to raise this issue with him again. He may not think that it causes emotions to get mixed-up, but you quite obviously do. It is a 'point of confusion' and you are 'a bit perplexed'. He is opening up to you and you should be honest with him ~ it's not a case of 'this may [cause] mix-up emotions', it's a case of it already causing them ~ for you if not for him. Now is the time for honesty, I should think.

As you say, you both need to look at this matter objectively. Stand back from it and consider what you each want ~ separately and together.

For some people, there is a 'love of one's life'. Sometimes it's just a case of seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses. For others it is as it was ~ genuine and lasting love. Either way, it doesn't look as if this boy is going to get back with that girl. And, even if he could, he actually might not even like her any more.

He needs to try to be realistic about this. She didn't want to be with him. She didn't want the same things as him. She wasn't happy with their relationship. He might have loved her, but it is unlikely that he would have been happy with her.

He gets on well with you ~ well enough to open up about all this past 'trauma'. You love him. He feels comfortable hugging you, even while you are not his girlfriend. Maybe you are soul-mates after all. Maybe you are destined to be 'just friends' or long-time partners.

Keep talking it out honestly and you will probably find out which it is to be.

Good luck!

Last edited by PDM; 07/18/07 07:04 PM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #205715 08/09/07 10:45 PM
P
P
I think you know what you need. You said it yourself. Basically you need and if you feel that you have had enough time, then try working things out. If there are things that you feel you need to change about yourself then do so and if he does then express that to him as well. Sometimes you may need to make some sacrafices for the other person thats understandable.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site