RomanceClass.com
Posted By: Lisa Shea Handling Things Out of Your Control - 04/19/13 01:55 AM
There's a famous quote about learning wisdom to know what things are outside your realm of control. There is going to be night and day. This is just the way the world is. It would be silly to be angry that there is night and day. We accept that and we handle it.

There are many things outside our control. It's a waste of energy - and harmful to our bodies! - to stress about them. We can only control what we can control. If there is something outside our control, like a hurricane approaching, then we prepare for it. We do what we can do. And that's all we can do.

What are some things out of your control, that you've found ways to cope with? What are some things you'd like help with?
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Handling Things Out of Your Control - 04/20/13 07:28 PM
Something worth mentioning is that those around you aren't within your control smile. They have their own minds.

If someone else is cranky, take a step back and re-focus on your own serenity. It's a challenge, certainly, but their bad mood doesn't have to mean you lose your center. Develop coping methods to help you buffer from that.
Posted By: jilly Re: Handling Things Out of Your Control - 08/31/13 01:00 AM
I've been much better at not letting other people's moodiness unbalance me. It's nice when I can do that.

Mostly, when things for me get out of control, I end up in bed with the pillows over my head, to shut out the world.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Handling Things Out of Your Control - 08/31/13 03:56 PM
Jilly -

That is quite fine, that you have a coping technique that lets you maintain your serenity. Your serenity and health are what are important.

That is great that you are able to separate yourself, at least somewhat, from other peoples' moods! I would say it's a good thing that you have that empathy. It's good, in my mind, that we care about others. But it's also a valuable skill not to let ourselves get "sucked in" by someone else. We need to find a balance.
© RomanceClass Forum