Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
LOL, I remember her saying that. Nice situation if you can swing it.

So far this is all working out very well. Even if my compost is mostly coffee grounds!

I am almost at the point where I will be dumping this first load into the outdoor compost area. I need some chicken wire to loop into a circle. I bet i can find some while walking around.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yes I'm sure you can come across a free composting system without too much effort!

Bob is agreeing with this composting idea. So we just have to set up a location in the kitchen to store the "transitional items" before we get them into the back yard. He wants to use a solid tupperware container. I would rather have a flip-up-lid thing. I would be very likely to use something that I flip up the lid, toss something in, and close it before I can smell it. I have horror images in my mind of trying to pry open a Tupperware thing and having really nasty smells come out while I put things in and reseal it. I don't even like to open bad stuff in the fridge, so they sit there and get worse.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Mine is not unlike this one:
kitchen organic waste bin

This is the one I really want, where you can drain off compost tea to use in houseplants:
Indoor kitchen composter

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
That looks great, the one you want, I'll talk with Bob about that!

Thank you!

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
If I had a stable place, what I really want to do is set up a worm bin. Those are tons of fun - the worms live in a small bin under your kitchen sink and eat up your wastes, turning them quickly into nutritious worm tea and potting soil.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
OK here's the recycling bin in the closet by the kitchen -

The top two bins are for plastics / glass. The bottom two are for paper / cardboard. I have a paper bin beneath my desk which gets filled up quickly, and then we put bigger cardboard boxes in the basement until it's pick-up time.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
That looks reasonably organized. Good job!

is that your extra tea stored on top there?

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
in my new place I have this lean-to shed I am using to organize my recycling. It's not organized properly yet, since it's too hot to work outside. But at least it's a start! I love it.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
At this point i have a random assortment of smallish bins under the lean to - it's doesn't look as pretty and organized as it does in my dreams. All of the plastic tubs i was using previously are now storing rainwater.

I have been drooling over some nice pre-made recycle bins, but don't feel right buying them, since 1. they cost money and 2. they are not either used or made of recycled materials. 3. and it would not even be buying locally, which would at least make me feel better.

So i am toying around with the idea of making some bins made of used pallets.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
I now have different things going on. I have two stacks of tires set up as compost bins - they work excellently, being black/heat absorbent. Plus they were free and I could keep them out of the landfills. I can't wait to add worms to them.

I am going to write up how to use tires as worm bins and will let you all know once that is up. So this will be documented in case people are curious about it. smile

I have been using drawers from old furniture as bins now for my recycling sorting. That is working pretty well, and they are free things that are easy to find once you start looking for old furniture people are throwing away. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site