Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
PDM #400298 05/04/10 08:34 PM
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
PDM, I always had personal library fantasies also. I'd love one with a ladder on rails and large drawing room chairs for reading. I also have fantasies of having a 'crows nest" room on top of a house, for reading. All windows, some kind of hexagon, full of big fluffy pillows for kicking back and reading, and for enjoying the view.

I do feel it's selfish of me to have so many books that I will never have the time to read, when I could be donating them to a charity to sell. And then people who don't have much money could enjoy reading them, instead of having them just rot away in boxes in storage. frown

jilly #400301 05/04/10 10:29 PM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yup I imagine that girls read books as children that fill them full of the giant-library-with-ladder circular-room-with-pillows-and-windows scenario. The scene in Beauty and the Beast with the huge library just pushing that fantasy even more smile I wonder if pushing those types of fantasies on us is any better than pushing the fantasies of "a prince will come and rescue you and you'll never have to work!" ideas smile

A friend of mine is very wealthy and built herself a dark wood library with floor to ceiling shelves, I am very jealous of it smile It inspired me to get my current desk set which is dark wood. So I do feel the appeal greatly. And I suppose if you own a mansion, then having a big library room is wonderful! But for most of us, the books are taking up precious space which could be used for a wider range of activities.

I mean, if you had a gigantic empty room in your house, and you just left it empty, that might not be great. If instead you had it be your dream-retreat library, then it might be perfect.

But on the other hand if you have a *tiny* house and your life is spent crawling over books and being cramped by them, and you never read them, then that is the other end of the spectrum.

It's all about balance smile

Jilly - I know how much you need money and my suggestions for you are always keeping that in mind. I think of you gathering up 5 cent bottles and think that pretty much anything is a better time expenditure for you to be able to buy more healthy foods and so on. So the idea of just dumping all the books torments me. But on the other hand if a book is only worth 5 cents then dumping it is a better use of your time. Here is what I would do.

Tackle just one small pile a day. Do a quick 10 second search on Amazon for the title. See its price. Determine what, for you, is the break point. Is it $10? $20? Whatever that break point is, either put the book in the "to sell" box or the "library" box. Don't do anything else. Just sort them. Quick, easy, mindless, stress-free.

At some point in the future when one of those boxes gets full enough, you can take another step. But for now, just quick-sort.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
LIsa, i think this is a great idea about the books and simply making piles. Thank you.

jilly #400551 05/09/10 12:30 AM
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
PDM, i was thinking about your comments about libraries and I totally get what you say about the annoyance of fines and return deadlines.

But still, for me, there is just something wonderful about libraries. For example, dan and I frequently go to bookstores to relax. We make ourselves piles and books and page through them longingly. Then we finish up our coffees and leave the books, sadly, behind.

At a library, I can make a pile of books and TAKE THEM ALL HOME. It always amazes me, every time. I always feel - how lucky is this? How awesome that these are all FREE?

Libraries even smell comforting. They are like wombs of never ending joy. :-)

jilly #400877 05/14/10 07:03 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I do love libraries too, it is amazing that they are holding all those fantastic learning experiences, just waiting. More people should use libraries!

Lisa Shea, Owner
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Oh, I love libraries ~ I love to read and study at the library ~ and buy their unwanted books!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #400907 05/14/10 10:19 PM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
What they should do is make libraries look like Old English libraries. Dark wood. Ladders to top shelves. Lots of nooks to curl up and read in. Then we'd all live in them smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site