Next Thread
Print Thread
#353829 02/25/09 10:06 PM
J
Jester Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all.

I have been with my GF for nearly 2yrs. Lately i have wanted to be single because i feel she is too domineering in this relationship and my Ex was domineering. My parents are fond of her because they feel she snobby towards my family and i have been noticing it.

I have perservered however when my mum was in hospital with failed Kidneys the GF wasnt even sympathetic. I put this to the back of my mind however what topped it off was the fact that she said when we move in she wants me to pay the bills while she pays the mortgage. I said why not go 50/50 as we are a couple. she said if we broke up she doesnt want to lose the deposit she saved up. She wants the whole house her way and if i want something in it, it has to match her decour.

Its hard to break up because her dad is one of the boss's at work and he would make it difficult at my work and her mum would probably try and get in touch to blast me down the phone or in person. We have the same friends however most of them i met through her, would i lose them aswell?

Her family have done alot for me and i feel bad feeling like this its just i dont want to be the submissive BF and to top it off our 2yrs is coming up in the next 2wks and she is organising it? should i break up after that or before it? most of my friends believe i should break up as she is too controlling.

Any advice on what to do with the family and friends issues and how to break up would be greatly appreciated as i am xxxx at breaking up (i have always been the dumped).

Jester

Last edited by PDM; 02/26/09 03:21 PM.
Jester #353838 02/25/09 10:44 PM
Friend
Friend
I'm sorry you have it so rough. No one should feel like they are being walked all over in a relationship. Each person should be giving and taking. It should always be 50/50 w/ each person compromising to meet in the middle so no one is feeling like the other is dominant. I'm proud of you for seeing this though. Sometimes, love can be blind and its hard to see the stuff going on, except for those on the outside. You are being very courages, good for you. You should let her down easily, do it face to face (no cowardly email or text), and do it soon (the longer you wait, the harder its going to be). There is someone out there for you, so don't give up. Its weird, and maybe a little cliche, but when you stop looking, it will just happen naturally, love will find each other. smile We're here for you so keep in touch and let us know what happens. *hugs and courage*

Friend
Friend
Oh, and welcome to the forum. smile

Jester #353925 02/26/09 04:02 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi jester & Welcome smile

Just a few initial thoughts:

Quote:
I have been with my GF for nearly 2yrs.

Over two years, you should have got to know her quite well.
Quote:
Lately i have wanted to be single ..

If you have got to know her and you feel that you want to be single, then this must be the way to go.
Quote:
... i feel she is too domineering in this relationship and my Ex was domineering ...

Of course you need to learn from experience, but it might not be a good idea to let previous relationships colour this one.
Be careful with this.
Quote:
My parents are fond of her because they feel she snobby towards my family and i have been noticing it.
I think you must mean that they are not fond of her.
It's good to get the opinions of those who care about you. Ultimately it has to be your decision, though, where you go with a relationship.
If your parents are nice to her and she is unkind to them, that should, perhaps, be a warning.
Quote:
... when my mum was in hospital with failed Kidneys the GF wasnt even sympathetic.

If your mother is nice to her and she is unkind, even when your mother is ill, then that is more worrying.
Quote:
... she wants me to pay the bills while she pays the mortgage. I said why not go 50/50 as we are a couple. she said if we broke up she doesnt want to lose the deposit she saved up.

So she wants to be the sole owner of your joint home?
She wants full responsibility for it and full rights to it?
You haven't moved into this home together, yet, and she is already considering your break-up and planning on holding onto her savings and sending you away without a roof over your head?
Quote:
She wants the whole house her way and if i want something in it, it has to match her decour.

Well, there surely has to be give & take!?
Quote:
Its hard to break up because her dad is one of the boss's at work

Yes, that is hard. But you cannot pretend to be enjoying a happy relationship to suit your boss / her father.
I know someone who worked for his wife's father & it didn't turn out well.
I do not think that this sort of thing is a good idea, unless everything is working harmoniously and it is a happy family business.
Quote:
.. and he would make it difficult at my work

That would be unprofessional but understandable.
Quote:
her mum would probably try and get in touch to blast me down the phone or in person.

As I said before, the relationship should be sorted out between you & her ~ not parents, but seeing how she behaves with your parents and how you think her parents will respond to you could be quite an eye-opener.
Quote:
We have the same friends however most of them i met through her, would i lose them as well?

You might ~ it depends how loyal they are.
However a friend in need is a friend indeed. Do you really want only fair-weather friends, who are really her friends anyway?
Quote:
Her family have done alot for me and i feel bad feeling like this

That's difficult.
If her family has helped you, then you need to show them gratitude and appreciation.
I'm not convinced, though, that marrying their daughter, when your heart isn't it it, is the way to do this.
They will want their daughter to be with someone who really loves her & enjoys being with her.
Quote:
its just i dont want to be the submissive BF

I can understand that.
Quote:
to top it off our 2yrs is coming up in the next 2wks and she is organising it? should i break up after that or before it?

If you are going to break up with her, I think it's best done before the public are invited tro celebrate your second anniversary ~ less humiliating all round.
Quote:
most of my friends believe i should break up as she is too controlling.

You need to make your own choices, rather than relying on what other people think.
However, your friends know you & the relationship, so maybe they have a point.
Are the the same friends you mentioned before ~ the shared ones??

So far, I have just given my instant responses to the things you have posted, but there are some issues that are cropping up at the back of my mind:

Are your parents actually nice to her?
Has she always been the negative one, while they have been pleasant & positive towards her?

Her parents sound generous, but a bit scary.
What actually is your relationship with them like?

Your girlfriend says that she doesn't want to lose her deposit, if you break up, and you say that her family has helped you and that you work for them.
Is it possible that she really is the one bringing all the financial stability to the relationship and that this is a bit like the pre-nuptial agreements that some people have?

Do you love her?

It may be that she feels justified in behaving as she does, or she may just be spoiled.

Either way, if you do not want to be with her, the only fair thing to do, for both your sakes, is to bring the relationship to an end.
(And maybe look for a new job).

If you do love her and want to salvage this, then you need to have a long and serious talk ~ and perhaps some relationship counselling.

These are just my thoughts ~ the decision has to be yours.

Quote:
i have always been the dumped

Perhaps you need to work on your self-confidence?? smile

Good luck! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site