Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281679 04/17/08 07:40 PM
T
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
T
Just a random thought.

What do you suppose is an apropriate, acceptable age difference when dating, and what is over-the-line?

Is 5 years too much? what about 10? Is it more acceptable for the man or the woman to be older?

Is the difference worse when you're younger? does it seem to decrease in importance as you get older?

Just curious as to your thoughts on the subject. feel free to share experiences. smile

T
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
T
any input?

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I think that it's possible to have all sorts of age difference and for the relationship to be successful.

I also think, though, that being around the same age is usually good ~ for various reasons.

Women tend to marry older men, yet women live longer than men, so it would make sense for them to choose younger partners.

I think it's unwise for teenagers to date older people, for safety and experience reasons.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #281844 04/18/08 12:55 AM
T
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
T
Yeah, I understand all that wink I was just curious. Some people act like a few years is soooooo much, but my mother is 11 years younger than my father, so kind-of grew up thinking it wasnt that big a deal...

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
wow - what an interesting question. I married my first husband at 18. That is too young for anyone to get married no matter the age difference. He was one and one half years older than I. My present husband is 13 years younger than I. My second marriage is much, much better than my first.

My opinion is; after you become an adult age differences don't matter as long as they don't matter.

Now quoting my mom (bless her heart) "don't date anyone you wouldn't marry, because you are going to marry someone you date."

Of course that is assuming you are ever going to marry.

Last edited by blr; 04/18/08 01:15 AM.
BLR #281854 04/18/08 01:22 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
I've dated older (2-2.5 years older) and it wasn't that big of an age and maturity gap. My current boyfriend is only 6 mo younger than I am and that works too. It seems like a big difference when you are younger, but when you extrapolate that out to when you are 40 or 50, a larger age difference doesn't seem so far away maturity wise.

Never forget:
Leaf - 11/5/07
Louie - 1/25/08
Bill - 4/16/08
Papeete - 4/21/08
Good Friend
Good Friend
Yeah I know how you feel some people do get out of hand with the age difference.....even if it is just a year or two apart.... frown

Love God
Love Nature
Love The Animals
Love Parakeets
Companion
Companion
I think the age difference doesn't really matter. Though, teenagers shouldn't be too many years part in age from their partner. I mean, my dad is about 43 (sorry, I can't even remember my own father's age) and his girlfriend is 30, so yeah ^^

"My name is my law"
F
Best Friend
Best Friend
F
Once you reach independent adulthood, the age difference doesn't have to matter. Although the less time he/she has spent as an independent adult, the less prepared the younger person is to meet an older person on an equal footing.

If you are within a few years of each other's age, you are usually better able to understand each other because you grew up in the same larger culture - generations do have overall identities - and when one of you refers to a tv show or video game or a popular band or something, the other one will usually know what you mean. And you are more likely to have similar ideas about your roles.

There are other ways to start building a common identity, but having similar childhood experiences due to similar age is an easy starting point, and can be very comforting.

Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
i think aslong as your older then 21 yrs old..age is not that big of a deal...my hubby is only 3 yrs older which is not bad at all...my mom and dad was 14yrs apart.. and even though they was married for 19 yrs the older they got the bigger the age came up...my dad got to the point where he was wanting to just sit around and things like that..my mom on the other hand was wanting to go out and well act her age..so it just depends on how well you get along...my moms new hubby is 6 yrs younger and they seem to get along better then my mom and dad did.....so if your around 22 or 23 and you date a guy around 30 then i think thats fine..you go any higher is just odd lol....and if ya 30 and you date some one around 40 to 45 is fine, but if you go much older then problems i think well end up coming up....but i think if you are under the age of 16 then you need to date some one under the age of 16..and if your 16 then 17 is high enough , go any higher can be bad..and once you hit 18 as long as they are 21 or younger then i think thats fine...thats just what i think smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site