RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186785 05/30/07 06:33 PM
OP Offline
Okay so yesterday a guy that I think is nice told me that he likes me. This has never happened to me before without the guy joking on. The only thing is he is 13-14 I think (he's in year 9 at school) and I'm 16 almost 17 (year 12 at school). He's the son of my mum's friend. I don't know what I should do. I said why would you like me and he said the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me 'You're nice and funny and you're pretty.' I don't know what to do because I like him as well but all of my friends say he is too young for me...any advice would be welcome.
Thank you,
Laura-Li Snow

Love isn't anything, it's everything.
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hello Laura-Li & welcome.

I think that many parents of 13-year-olds would be uncomfortable with them dating a 16-year-olds, partly, I suppose, because older teenagers are sometime more experienced and expect more from a relationship.

In your case, this would be your first boyfriend, anyway, so I'm just not sure. It depends on the kind of relationship, I suppose. If it's an innocent relationship, it could be fine.

I think that one thing that concerns parents, when it comes to more worldly older teenagers, is if a physical relationship ensues. The age of consent is 16 in England, so some parents would be concerned at over-16s dating under-16s, I think.

I think that, if you get on well with this boy, and his parents are happy with him dating someone older, then why not.
Sorry to be so vague ~ I wonder what others think?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #186916 05/30/07 11:51 PM
A
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
Even though in a few years this age difference won't matter, now it does.

I think at this stage it might be best to just keep it to a level of good friendship. Enjoy going out together in a group or even if it's as a couple, just keep it platonic.

As PDM said, there's the legalities of it as well to consider and we all know how people love to talk, and the wrong word said to the wrong person could cause a lot of heartache for everyone.

Also your friends and his could start teasing, spreading rumours etc. because of your ages, so be prepared for that.

Much depends on the maturity level of each person and of course the parents. As your mothers are close friends, they might be more than happy to see you both together.

He sounds a nice young gentleman to have paid you a compliment like that and often these days, those positive comments are far and few between so I can understand why it meant something to you.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site