Yes, venting! It has to be done, otherwise stress is stored inside ~ and it either comes out when it would be inappropriate, or stays there and makes us ill.

I suppose, though, it depends on the person, and what, exactly, they mean by venting.

For example ~ and I'll use the forum as my example, since we all know that ~ say a member misinterprets something that I have said or done and says something critical to me. How might I react?

I could write an angry post, saying: How dare you criticise me! Take a look at your own faults! You don't know what you are talking about! You are wrong and I am right! You are a fool! I hate this !!

You get the picture ~ fill in your own complaints and insults smile

That could be considered 'venting', but what good would it do? ~ None!
Would it make me feel better? ~ Maybe for 30 seconds.
Would it help the situation in any way? ~ Possibly, but probably not. Unpleasantness would probably escalate. Posts would sound ever more violent and unpleasant.

That sort of venting makes matters worse.

But how about if I just walked away from the computer and shouted to the empty room: 'Stupid forum! I've had enough! This drives me mad! Then picked up a pillow and chucked it onto the settee, sat myself down on it and moaned for a few more minutes?

Would that make me feel better?
Probably, because I would have got all of the annoyance and irritation off my chest.
Would it cause problems?
No, no-one would have been upset or annoyed by my unseen rant.

By the time I had calmed down ~ and it would depend on the seriousness of the complaint or criticism, how soon I would wish to return ~ I could go back to the forum and calmly explain that there had been a misunderstanding, apologise for not making my thoughts clearer, possibly explain that the comment had upset me, if that seemed best, and move on.

Different kinds of venting can have different results.

If screaming and shouting works someone up, as it might, then it will have a negative effect; but a good old rant ~ good humoured and short-lived ~ can be very useful and beneficial.

It depends on the rant smile smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.