The underlying issue?
Good question!
I don't know. I'll have to think about that.

I know what I always say, when people ask why I don't just get rid of stuff.

I tend to buy / obtain things that I want ~ and what I like and am interested in hasn't changed over the years, so why should I want to get rid of it?!

I love my books; my photography; my genealogy, etc. I want to keep all that. They are 'me'!

There are projects that I have spent much time, energy and money on, and that I may use again,in future work, so I would find it annoying to get rid of all that.

I have lots of things that belonged to the children when they were little; and also my own things from the past. Time seems to pass so quickly and when I hold their things, I can re-live the past. I find this important, because my memories of that time need help, since I was very ill after having my boys ~ depression with the one; ulcerative colitis with the other ~ and still quite unwell when my daughter was born. (I really should spend less time on here, and more time with them, while they and I are still young enough to do things together!)

I also think that I have inherited the 'hoarding' gene from my parents & grandparents. It was a thing, in their day, never to get rid of anything that might come in useful. smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.