RomanceClass.com
Posted By: Lisa Shea Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 04/06/10 12:45 AM
I love to craft and I build up shelves and shelves of crafting and sewing items. I finally decided I had just too many things.

I've been carrying around boxes and boxes of dress patterns with me for many years. Some patterns are back from 1986 and before! I am never going to make those dresses and skirts again. I wear sweats all day! And I have a few pretty dresses that I love, for when I need to go out.

So I found a sewing shop where they teach sewing students and they are happy to take them all. So that's great! They go to people who will use them, and I don't have the clutter. Heck if I *really* decide someday that I *must* sew myself a skirt, I can buy a fresh new pattern. They're only, what, $5 or something? I can invest that $5 in myself someday if I get hit with a skirt craving. But I really don't think that will happen smile
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 04/06/10 09:10 PM
Good for you, lisa! What a perfect choice you made to bring them to sewing classes. Very creative.

I have my painting supplies that I am not ready to give up yet, plus some candle and soap supplies that I would love to have the chance to mess with. Not ready to give those up yet, but if i was, I'd offer a bin of them on craigslist. :-)
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 04/11/10 09:04 AM
I love making candles and soaps so I understand the allure there! They make great presents which are both handmade are functional. They self-recycle!
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 04/25/10 12:11 AM
Very true! I like your thinking. And crafts are soothing to make.
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 04/25/10 12:17 AM
Yes you can very much get into the zone when you're pouring candles, just focusing on that one task.

When I fold origami it is almost like meditation, my fingers know what to do and I get lost in it.
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 06/01/10 04:42 AM
That sounds so soothing, Lisa. Since I will have a studio space for myself soon, i will get to use my crafting supplies!

I will need to start finding shelving. I don't want to live with bins of stuff stacked up.
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 07/06/10 03:58 AM
Well, I'm really glad i did not give up my crafting things - i now have an entire studio to make crafts in! I will have to document how it gets started.
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 08/16/10 02:11 AM
Right now am at a standstill in the craft room. There is a huge heavy pool table taking up the entire room. I can't budge the thing to even get it over against the wall. And putting it on Craigslist will mean having to talk to people, which I can be weird about.
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 10/12/10 04:58 AM
No changes yet. I know i need to get a move on getting the pool table out of there, but I am stuck with deciding how much to offer it for and what to say about it. It will require a bunch of burly people to get it out of here. Ads locally for pool tables in Craigslist are from 400-700 dollars. I need help or a nudge to do this!
Posted By: Lisa Shea Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 10/20/10 08:35 AM
Jilly - just take 2 photos of it, choose a price (lets say $550 to split your range in half), and list it. As is. See photo. If it's too much, people will ask you for less and you can decide from there!

Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/05/10 06:40 PM
I think that is a good plan. I will post my ad if/when i ever get it up.
Posted By: Cetan Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/05/10 06:55 PM
and put in your ad they must pick it up!
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/05/10 07:33 PM
LOL, so true!
Posted By: illusive Fantasy Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/05/10 08:03 PM
the value of a pool table is decided on whether its a SLATE TOP or regular top and the condition of the GREEN..its very expensive and time consuming to regreen a table as it requires almost totally dismantling it and pulling the bumpers as well then regreen them as well....if they are regular players they will also, carefully scrutinize the bumpers all along the edges to make sure there is no signs of weakness or pulling away etc...also if its regulation size...some are not. Most folks want a SLATE top..and the green absolutely cant have any ripples tears or slices or buldges

Also becuz of the economy out there you wont get top dollar if its in even mint condition.

So now the question will be how much of a sacrifice are you willing to make to get it out of there. Im honestly surprised it was left behind if in really good condition...

You can look at it like selling it at a sacrifice or a win win as it would be no matter what more money than you started with and it will be out.

There is still another thing also...how was it stored was anything placed on top of it...causing warping EVEN SLIGHT unseeable to the eye warping...make sure the table is perfectly leveled when showing it as one of the first things they will want to do is check for warping by rolling a POOL ball not a tennis ball or the like across the top in several areas to see if there is evident warp.

People who want pool tables want one that is in mint to excellent condition, and regulation size...otherwise its now like what you are experiencing just something big they need to break up and toss. Also, the demand may be low for them as it requires a very large room for one to just set up never mind the additional surrounding area for a player to shoot.
Posted By: BLR Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/06/10 12:02 AM
Jilly, you might think about putting a plywood cover over the pool table and skirt it. You can use it for a craft table and under it you can store your craft supplies.
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/06/10 06:41 PM
BLR, not a bad idea but i honestly hate the pool table. it takes up the entire space and ruins my plans to do yoga in there. smile
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/06/10 06:44 PM
Illusive, that is excellent information and thank you. This is a slate top super sturdy pool table from the 70s. I am pretty strong and i can't budge even an edge of this thing. It's a monster.

You think i should just advertise it free as long as someone gets it out of there? they are going to have to dismantle it to get it out the door, and a slab of slate is heavy to carry...
Posted By: illusive Fantasy Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/06/10 07:19 PM
if it is slate and from what your saying it is...i wouldnt give it free...FOR SURE...if the green is in very good condition is the next issue ..if it is in good condition... NO dont give it free...THEY already know they will have to dismantle and im sure as pool players know what all that encompasses to move it out and transport it...be sure however,,,they understand its CASH UP FRONT and they dont begin to dismantle TILL YOU HAVE CASH IN HAND becuz if they wreck something with it from dismantling or transporting... you dont want that responsibility....so you assume no responsibilty for dismantling or transportation and have that on the sales slip...in bold clear language...and money in hand before anyone begins with a screwdriver or anything to dismantle...knowing you got paid ...if they wreck it somehow THEY OWN IT and now are also responsible for GETTING IT OUT.

Slate tables are always regulation size and in demand if in very good condition...pool halls if you have any in the area would very definetly be interested and those maybe your best leads...and SAFEST rather than Craigs list which is getting very very risky these days with the nitemare stories around here we are all hearing...

Research what regulation size slate tables sell for brand new first Jilly then cut that price in half...and stay firm on it..it should sell...it may take awhile but it will be decent money for you if your patient...get in touch with and find out where pool leagues ...like bowling leagues are held ...many bowling halls also do pool...thats where your best shot will be to make a sale...get out to the finer sports/restaurant bars and ask if you can post somewhere you have a table for sale...so on and so forth..try that before Craigs list seriously it may take SIX MONTHS to get a bite or it maybe gone in a week...just stick to the sale price and terms and be patient...

THAT TABLE is worth money if any good condition at all.

If you can post on a post card size card in any of your local supermarkets do that and once a week make sure your card isnt getting buried under other folks cards to keep yours visual...its a little work for a decent money. And be dumb like a fox in NOT MENTIONING ITS FROM THE 70's...you dont know how old it is wink...cutting the price in half for what a new one sells for is still a STEAL...
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/07/10 08:32 PM
Thank you, Illusive. You always have the best information. I think the next thing to do is clear off the stuff i have on top and take a photo of it to show you.

I do not have a pool ball to roll on top to see about if it's level.
Posted By: illusive Fantasy Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/07/10 09:29 PM
you can check to see if its level by placing a glass half full of water at each end in all four corners, if you dont have a leveler gauge and in the middle of both sides an last in the middle...tell anyone interested you only have the table and tell them to bring a ball if they would like to check out the roll to the table. Usually you should on your own be able to level it IF it isnt already ...if not tell folks i dont KNOW if its level but i suspect it may need ADJUSTING to level...use those words.

And yes make absolutely sure nothing is stacked on top of it when showing for sure...as this is a tip off that the flat surface could be off or ruined.

I think you have a excellent chance to sell this by contacting league areas and asking also in those places if you can post a post card size card somewhere you have a table for sale with hours to call you about it...and list the price IN BIG BOLD NUMBERS AND SAY FIRM.

Keep your post card info short and sweet so as it can really be noticed with big numbers and letters...something like....first at top PRICE (FIRM) then, REGULATION size SLATE pool table call this number between (hours) for info. Emphasing those words.

Anything else can be explained over the phone...and when someone calls ask where they heard about the table becuzzzzzz....sometimes they TAKE THE CARD DOWN instead of writing the info on something and you will need to then replace the card if they did that or folks wont know. They also do this on purpose sometimes so NOBODY ELSE finds out and checks it out BEFORE they do...
Posted By: jilly Re: Clearing out Crafting Supplies - 12/12/10 12:39 AM
This is GREAT information. I am taking notes!
© RomanceClass Forum