Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#399732 04/25/10 11:18 PM
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Not only does yoga reduce stress, but it's critical to helping you stay flexible and balanced as you get older! I know SO many people who have been injured by falling or tripping or so on. With yoga you get good at being balanced, and usually you can catch yourself in those situations. It is a fantastic injury prevention system!

If you haven't done yoga before, chime in and we can help you get started. It is SO easy to start. For example Mountain Pose is simply standing straight, your feet shoulder width apart, and relaxing. That is the basics of that pose.

Start simple!

Lisa Shea, Owner
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I think that I should take this up.
A class would give the opportunity for new friendships, too.

When I was expecting my daughter, I went to 'Active Birth' classes, which included yoga ~ and was great fun.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I really enjoy Kundalini & Vinyasa Flow Yoga. I find that not only is Yoga relaxing, it can strengthen your muscles, create greater range of motion, increase flexibility, and for me, it helps keep me sane. grin

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
That's great, Love My Budgies! Do you have a favorite pose?

PDM - I would definitely suggest it! Or you can get a DVD and do it at home if that's easier for you. I've done DVDs but not a class.

I now do about a half hour to 45 minutes every morning on my back porch of peaceful, stretchy yoga. It is a wonderful way to start the day and really makes me feel SO much better - both my body and my stress levels.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I've taken classes and do prefer my DVDs. With classes, they aren't as self-customized. IMO. Some I've taken are too fast and athletic (which is fine but i want my yoga to be peaceful and healing, not a workout) and some are too remedial.

With my assortment of DVDs I can really choose what sort of session i am in the mood for.

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
For a while I would use the DVDs and I was baffled how someone could do yoga without a DVD. I even would bring my laptop with a DVD out to the back porch. But now that I have my own routine, I just go through that without the DVD.

The only thing I am challenged by is the timing. I used to count "one two three four (etc)" on every pose and count up to 60 or 90 or whatever. It didn't seem very serene that way. So now I just focus on my breath in and out and do the pose for as long as feels good. I wonder if I am doing it longer or shorter now ...

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
Right, i just do the yoga breathing as Shiva showed us on that one DVD we used. And I move to the next pose as I feel I want to. No counting involved - much more organic.

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I think my curiosity is if I hold poses for far less time if I'm just breathing. I think sometime I'll take out a timer with big letters and do my timerless routine - but glance over every once in a while to see how long I actually stay in tree pose for example.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Originally Posted By: Lisa Shea
That's great, Love My Budgies! Do you have a favorite pose?

For me, the most beneficial pose on all levels has been Viparita Karani. I try to do it everyday for at least 10 minutes.

I recently watched a kinda funny documentary on yoga, called Enlighten Up - about a yoga enthusiast who believes yoga can transform anyone/everyone, so she takes a non-yoga practicioner and has him take all types of yoga classes and meet with many yoga gurus all over the world. If you like yoga and are well versed in the history, types, and teachers, it is an interesting doc to see.

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I had to look that up - that's legs up the wall! I have been meaning to give that a try - maybe tonight is the night!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site