Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
DO you have one big bins for everything you recycle? Or do you separate out each type of recycling in well-organized and tidy bins?

Where do you keep your recycling bins? In the kitchen, laundry room, garage, outside?

Best Friend
Best Friend
Well, they will have to be separate when you take it in to the recycling place. A lot of people stomp on the cans to flatten them out so you can fit more in a bag. Or there's a thing you can buy that does that.

I do not have room to really recycle. I live in an apartment. The info I have is from the friends who do it for a living. I do try to save a few things for them, such as electric cords and sometimes aluminum cans.

The brass I was talking about, I DO recycle. I accumulate brass candle sticks, lamp bases, little boxes, and etc, instead of selling them at yard sales. I usually get more money that way!

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
That is so great Tweetymom, that you save items for your friends to recycle. maybe I can bring this up with my friends and family.

I found a brass figurine i no longer want that I will try to sell. I called the recycler and they offer $1. 23 a pound for brass!

All this means, of course, is that i need to seriously take a long look at how to organize my recycling area indoors so it's totally used and less of an eyesore.

Suggestions?

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
We have a closet by the bathroom. We bought a vertical bin holder with 4 bins in it. The top two are for glass - plastic - metal because our trash / recycling company takes them all in one bin. They separate it out on their end. The bottom two are for paper / cardboard.

I also have a paper recycle bin beneath my desk for any paper I get.

I actively try to cancel every catalog we are sent so we cut down on the waste paper.

I admit I still get credit card statements / bills in paper form, I have been paranoid up until now about not having those in physical form. But now that I have a receipt scanner and am getting rid of all our receipts, I think I am ready to take the step to keep my bill receipts on my computer in PDF form. I just have to make even more sure that I back up my system regularly.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
That sounds like a good system, Lisa. Is this a kind of Ikea bin, or something you'd see at Target? Is it plastic?

Tweetymom, I found another brass box and added it to my brass/copper bin. smile

What I have going right now is a line of round buckets in the kitchen area. I have a trash bin that I try to not put things into. I have a covered compost bucket near the trash bin.

Then close by there are these:
- the glass and plastic redemption bucket
- the paper recycling bucket
- the mixed recyclables bucket (whatever doesn't fall into any other category)
- the GoodWill Donations Bucket
- a small glass jar I toss my found golf balls into that I keep in the livingroom. When that is full I will recycle those too.

Then outside under the porch I have a small container for my brass, steel and copper findings, and several HUGE bins for aluminum cans. I have about five or six large overflowing bins of cans, waiting for me to drive over the hill and deal with.

I also have the compost pile in the backyard behind the shed.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
It's Rubbermaid I think, fairly cheap but reasonably sturdy. Yes definitely plastic and washable.

We put all our donations upstairs in the "music room" because they only come every month or so - we get quite a pile up there by then.

We do have a compost circle but it's back at the far end of the back yard so it's a haul to go out there when it's a tundra out there smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Lisa, can you start a compost that is closer to your house? Not much good if you can't really use it. lol

I just added a clear vase to the livingroom to drop my corks into. It's something I like to do - I save the corks until the vase is full. Then i put them in a baggie to bring to thrift stores. They sell them in their 'craft' sections.

We do try to drink the decent boxed wines to make even less waste, but end up with bottled wine often. So this is one less thing to make trash and be re-used.

One sided paper gets tossed into a plastic shelf thing under my printer, so that gets used as much as possible before being recycled.

I also have a gigantic stack of books to sell on Amazon in my office area. The really tattered novels will go to the RV libraries, but i have to set aside time to weed them out and place in the RV. The books are just piled along the wall. Not very organized, eh?

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Hey, you're making progress and progress is always good!

It gets really cold in the winter so I don't know that anywhere would be tempting for me to leave the house and go put tea bags into for example. I think I'd need a staging area in the house, and that would get smelly. I'll have to ponder this some. I really want to do something with these tea bags. It seems so wasteful to toss them into a trash bag.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Oh, i thought you knew how this works! Sorry, yes, there is always a staging spot in a kitchen if you are a composter. You will need something that seals. You can have a small kitchen container on the counter, or a larger one on the floor, depending on how much food scrap you produce.

Coffee grounds and filters go in there too. And egg shells. No meat.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Jeanne always tossed things immediately out her back window, I think, and she was the one I always thought about for composting smile I think she must have had something right beneath her kitchen window.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site