Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carl Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
A couple days ago, we did Fall cleaning on the back porch along with re-arranging of the furniture and decorations. And the flags, pennants, mail box cover, and windsocks.

Marge was also redecorating the kitchen, dining room, and living room. And she warned me that this morning would be re-arranging of the living room furniture.

Men are so different than women. To us, when a room is set up the way we like it, there's no need to change it - ever. Unless one wants a larger TV or some other electronic game or maybe a cooler or small fridge so one doesn't have to walk so far to the kitchen fridge.

Joking, mostly, since Marge visited my apartment before we got together and later married. She was impressed with my cleanliness - but NOT my holiday decorating!

We're mostly through, except for some minor accents and tweaking that Marge will do (actually, she never really stops).

To tell the truth, despite the fact that I tease her by my reluctance and my attempts at "negotiation," we are a pretty good team. We didn't measure things since my tape measure is in the "storage" trailer, but we came up with a pretty good basic design plan.

I commented that on Design Star, if the design got too fancy, then there would not be enough time for the glitches which always arise (especially if one or more team leaders are out buying too many ancillary items). And someone has to be in charge.

But I am pretty good at taking Marge's design plan, and suggesting minor changes. And when the glitches arise, as they did, we were able to deal with them fairly easily and in the allotted time.

I felt sorry for Trippi (our tortoise-shell kitty, who knows she is a "Princess"), though. She always vanishes when the vacuum cleaner comes out. And when she sensed that we were about through, she led me into the living room, and plaintively mewed as she saw her usual pattern had changed drastically. The worst, for her, was that her kneading blankie that usually lies on the top of the back of the couch was missing! Marge has it in the washing machine.

Poor thing! She is at my feet now as I type.

I asked Marge if she was happy with the living room. Since she said she was, I made no further suggestions. This is not my first rodeo!

[I thought of putting this in the off-topic for parakeet owners - I have posted there, but I'm not a parakeet owner; and I thought of putting this in the General, Miscellaneous section - but I think it fits in the romance section pretty well. After all, a happy spouse is a good thing. When Marge is happy, I'm happy.]

Last edited by Carl; 09/17/08 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling "too" - not "to"

Marge is the love of my life.
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I cleaned the most disgusting part of the utility room at the weekend. I feel better for it. I think that it has reduced my stress levels. smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
Carl I think I must be a man by your description. I put my furniture in one place and it never gets moved. (Or does this mean I'm just lazy???) I don't know how much decorating will get done this year as I'm about to be laid up again with the other knee surgery. I don't even know what I will be putting out and up for Christmas as I will probably be relying a lot on my hubby who could care less about holiday decorations. The only saving grace is that our grandchildren live in different cities so we will not be seeing them for some of the holidays.
Then I keep looking at some of my messy rooms and keep thinking I only have 2 more weeks to get most of this stuff done around here. And with all of this going on my hubby has the shower in the basement all torn apart (the floor) could not get off the ceramic tile without breaking them so had to buy something different (I hope it does not look to goofy). They he plans on pulling up carpet in the basement and tileing the floor this will be another project and 1/2. To top it off now he wants to put up more walls. I think he is nuts LOL. I guess he figures he does not have enough to do (this is a person that has tons of stuff to do by the way.).
Oh well have fun decorating when your done please feel free to come up to my house and do mine. LOL.

My name is Connie
Carl Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Is your name Connie, or is Pretty Bird's name Connie?

Anyhow, I see your point. As a "househusband," I know well that people assume that certain tasks and ways of thinking are gender-related, when they're not. So my apologies for talking about men being different than women. I think they are in many ways, but there are probably as many "design stars" who are men as there are women.

And probably many women who see no need for continuous redecorating, either.

I don't think I'll go back and rework the post, but please consider my statement to be:

"I am so different than Marge. To me, when a room is set up the way I like it...."

Carl Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
PS - The redecorating in no way lets me off the hook for all the maintenance, repair, and improvement projects that I know about and Marge will be adding to, on my list.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Carl
And probably many women who see no need for continuous redecorating, either. ...

I certainly don't.
If we don't like the decor, or it's messy, or not working for some reason, then yes, we sort it out ~ but just for the sake of it!?
NO!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Carl Offline OP
Silver Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Silver Star Soulmate
Well, don't tell Marge I said this, because I act as if I don't care for the decorating for the season: I think it looks pretty, and Marge is quite creative. Most of it she does for herself, anyway. I insist on helping with the heavy lifting and moving, because of the fatigue she has from ITP, a blood disorder. And I do the outside Christmas lighting because of the climbing involved. A lot of our dialogue is just playful humor between people who love each other and are comfortable together. And we understand each other's humor.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
You're a good man Carl smile Chin up..at least it's not 30 below when you're doin the outside Christmas lights! lol

P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Pretty Bird has cracked me up! I really like: "Oh well have fun decorating when your done please feel free to come up to my house and do mine. LOL."

I would like to get to the point that Carl described as generally a man's view -- "To us, when a room is set up the way we like it, there's no need to change it - ever." In other words, if I could ever finally get all the needed repairs and much-needed upgrades done, I imagine a blissful scene where I just stand there, looking around the house, saying, "Aaaahhhhh!"

I just want the house (and the seasonal decorations) to be ship-shape, but not trendy or "stylin'" -- the mere thought of repainting rooms every five years 'cause you're "bored" makes me crazy! smile

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Carl
A couple days ago, we did Fall cleaning on the back porch along with re-arranging of the furniture and decorations. And the flags, pennants, mail box cover, and windsocks.

I just want to know what everything after the word flags is and if kitty has her banky back.

Oh and redecorating is something you do when you move or buy new furniture, for me redecoating is a sassy new spot for my vase after i clean my room.LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site