Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#89157 12/15/05 04:13 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Arranged marriage is being discussed elsewhere on the forum, so I thought I'd start a thread here.

What are your thoughts?

Here's the other thread:
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000219;p=2#000017

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
#89158 12/16/05 09:59 AM
J
Friend
Friend
J
Much would depend on the culture.
Western society would be against it whilst with some cultures it's just a natural part of life.

Personally I'm against it. Marriage should be for love.

#89159 12/17/05 06:13 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
what is the secret of a successfull marriage ?

can anyone say ?

is love the only factor ?

then why so many Love-marriages end up in divorce ?

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
#89160 12/18/05 12:01 AM
J
Friend
Friend
J
Communication is a major factor.
Love is another but after a while some people tend to take their partners for granted and love tends to get swept under the rug. Love needs to be nurtured and worked on to keep it going.

#89161 12/18/05 12:13 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
what about friendship - i think me and my wife are great friends.

what about ability to make your partner laugh ? share a joke - share a moment ?

marriage unfortunately is very complex.

i wish it was simple - less of hassle.

why do we marry ?

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
#89162 12/18/05 01:53 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I agree that, in a marriage, being able to make each other laugh is very important - being friends too.

And I think the most important thing is trust.

As for arranged marriage, if it were an 'introduction' and the parties were then left to see how things went - if love, friendship and trust, etc, developed - I think that would be ok.

If it were an arranged marriage where someone was just expected to live with a stranger - sharing their lives, their homes, their beds, I think that would be absolutely awful.

My parents didn't even meet my husband until we had been going out together for a number of months - and that was deliberate on my part. I did not want my boyfriend to get to know / develop a relationship with members of my family before we had got to know / developed a relationship with each other.

I feel that marriage is a partnership and, while it is very nice - and makes life easier - if spouses get on with in-laws, the other members of the family shouldn't really be involved in that partnership.

So I don't think arranged marriage would have suited me at all. But I appreciate that different people have different ideas and customs. smile

#89163 12/18/05 12:21 PM
Best Friend
Best Friend
PDM, as usual you elucidate comples things very well and make them simple :

so what we have so far :

love
communication
trust
friendship
partnership
being able to make each other laugh
culture
if spouses get on with in-laws

i am sure more to come.

i am afraid my marriage was not a typical arranged marriage much publicised in UK and Canada - as Reggie mentioned about a young film-maker.

it was more of a person mediating between two families and we were given a little time as well - not very common.

since the culture of both families were same - she did not have any problem in settling down either.

But arranged marriage as a whole can be rather painful - if there were any statistics ( and you need to rely on people being truthful ) less that 50% are a success.

that's my opinion only.

in my family - almost all are arranged marriage - none appear to be unsuccessful - but for a long time in our family arranged marriage is done slightly differently - like mine - so .............

Be good, do good
#89164 12/18/05 04:19 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
My friend's arranged marriage seemed to be working fine, until she told me a couple of years ago that they had separated.
But, of course, that can happen in any marriage.

Another Moslem friend told me that in her family it was the arranged marriages that were tending to break down - this is in the younger generation - and the love marriages - with partners outside of Islam - that were happier.

Of course, many marriages end in divorce or separation. Why does that happen? I don't know, really, except that some people just can't see if they are compatible with their partnerrs or not.

Love blinds them. Maybe this is where arranged marriage might be more successful - provided that the 'arrangers' can be trusted in their judgement.

#89165 12/18/05 05:46 PM
V
Best Friend
Best Friend
V
marriage is a relationship be it arranged or a " love" Marriage.
Any ralationship needs three things to make it work
Communication
compatiblity
and
concideration
All the other stuff the "Love", trust,etc comes when these three things combine and are working together. If you have a breakdown in any of these three then the relationship begins to crumble.
I believe that "affairs", I mean true affairs, not "one off" encounters, begin well before the bedroom. these true affairs occur because one of those three things are not working in the original relationship.
Arranged marriages, as has been said earlier, are a culture thing. If it works for them then that's fine by me, but they (arranged marriages) still require those three elements to have any chance of survival.

Nobody cares that you can't dance well. Just get up and dance!
#89166 12/19/05 04:25 AM
L
Lat Offline
Regular
Regular
L
A social worker, working at a marriage councelinge centre, once said that arranged marriages work, because people enter them, knowing that they have to work at it. In Western culture, people think because they love each other, that is enough to make things work, and partners are easier dissillusioned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site