Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#87464 07/08/05 11:56 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Hi Sarah I looked on the website of 'The United Church of Christ' [http://www.ucc.org/index2.html ]and I found an article: 'Does God have a plan for same-sex relationships?' by Andrew G. Lang Here's an extract: [i]'Like all other women and men, lesbians and gays are called by God to live a life not for ourselves, but for others. We are called to covenantal relationships in which our lives correspond to the inner life of God who is self-in-community, who in God's own being is self-for-others. 'Gay and lesbian unions are covenantal relationships if they conform to this Trinitarian structure. Like heterosexual marriage and celibate community, these relationships are "schools for sinners," in which two partners learn how to live in the paradox of freedom that is unlimited precisely because it is limited by the other. The partner in a same-sex relationship is truly "other"—not through the complementarity of a man and woman, of course, but in the mutuality of two persons who in freedom choose each other and delight in being chosen. God creates these relationships because within the limits of our given sexuality we are always called out of isolation into community. Always. Always! Through these relationships we learn what it means to be truly human, to care for another as much as we care for ourselves, to learn that a life enclosed on itself is death, but a life opened to other lives is God's gift and command to those who believe.'[/i] http://www.ucc.org/theology/acton1.htm I think the attitude of this church and certain others is very commendable. Anything that allows for love, tolerance, kindness, etc, in a world which contains so much hatred and violence has to be commended, I think. How does your church - and others with a more liberal attitude - get past the argument, which has been posted in other threads on homosexuality, that God, via the Bible (Leviticus & Corinthians, if I remember correctly), condemns homosexuality? Is it, otherwise, reasonably traditional in its ways and beliefs? Perhaps, since their argument would be that of a Christian church, it might be one that could spread to other, less liberal, Christian groups!?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
#87465 07/08/05 12:10 PM
A
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
I was raised in the Baptist Church and they were very liberal with homosexuals, in fact, we had a few in the congregation and the youth group. They were treated as they should have been, the same as other people.

My church didn't condemn homosexuality at all, instead saying that anyone who loved another was welcome, regardless of sex.

#87466 07/28/05 12:20 AM
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
noooooooooooooooooo way should we ever! mad mad
GOD created men and women to be married and have children. it is a disgrase to any Christian, Catholic or Lutheren. And to GOD!!!!!! mad mad mad mad mad mad

#87467 07/28/05 12:33 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Well, Jill, it's true that traditionally marriage meant one man and one woman being joined in matrimony.

I heard two Gay people talking about this on the radio today.

The woman wanted to be able to marry her long-term partner.

The man agreed that marriage was for one male and one female, so he would be happy with an official union under a different name.

I'm wondering what exactly is disgraceful.
If you believe that God created us all, then that includes homosexuals. If you believe that marriage is a good thing, then surely it is good for homosexuals as well as for heterosexuals?

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site