Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
MW1, that is great that you do so much good with your wastes! I hope more and more people can do what you do.

I like to make a game of how little trash i end up with each week. smile

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Our counter-top composter plastic bin with a hole in it is working quite nicely. It doesn't smell and it's easy to use. Right now it's full, Bob has to go take it out to the main composter unit in the back yard. He's the one who does that.

We definitely are doing a good job of putting all food waste into it - but we need to think more broadly. When we get cardboard pizza boxes we put those on the back porch and then carry them out to the main composter.

I'm sure there's many other things we can compost.

For example - lint. We have a nearly full (small) trash container of lint in the laundry room. I keep wondering if I can do something other than throw it away. I imagine I can compost it yes? But what if it's got rayon and stuff in there?

Lisa Shea, Owner
MW1 Offline
Companion
Companion
We have a little fire cauldron on our porch outside that we light up almost every weekend when it's cool outside - even done it with 2 feet of snow outside. smile We use the lint from our dryer to start fires instead of using newspaper, etc. that can be recycled. Then you won't have to worry about the rayon, etc. that could be in there... that is, if you have a fire pit/cauldron...

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Lisa, you can absolutely use lint in the compost. And yes, it also makes great fire starter.

I wrote about the uses of lint when i ran the LivingSimply topic on Bellaonline!

I have been looking for a used shredder to come along at my thrift stores. I just found a good one for $5. I have been saving all my paper to shred and add to the compost. It's greener than recycling, so I wanted to try that.

I shredded two grocery bags of paper and added them to the compost yesterday - they are perfect! Great to layer those after adding food wastes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site