Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Niki #391088 12/06/09 10:14 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I hoard all sorts of things.
I think that I was brought up on the 'waste not want not ~ it might come in handy some day' philosophy.
But books! I have thousands! (Literally thousands!)
I love my books! smile

Last edited by PDM; 12/06/09 10:17 PM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #392614 01/01/10 08:49 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I was thinking about this thread - I've made great progress!

I took out all the multiple big boxes of fabric and compiled it all down. I sent a BIG box of fabric off to my friend Susan who makes doll clothes who doesn't have a fabric store near her. So she'll be thrilled when she gets that smile

That just left me with two little boxes of big fabric pieces, that I can hopefully use soon for projects!

I also made a huge dent in the cork pile with all my winter projects. I have only a few left and I can use those up quickly! So the corks will be all done.

I took 2 giant Rubbermaid containers and put all the review books in my office into them to start working on passing them along to editors. I think I had 300 books, all just waiting to get sent out! So I am making myself handle 5 of them every day. I figure that will set me a goal I can reach, and work my way through them.

I am working very hard on de-hoarding smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Lisa - that is great. I find that when I am in the "git rid of it" mode I should really go with it. Because when the mood passes it is hard to start again.

The only thing that will keep me going or start me again is the feeling that I get from de cluttering my life. I think we all are stuff gathers if we don't make an effort not to be. Probably because there is so much "stuff" available.

BLR #392787 01/03/10 07:37 AM
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
Yeah how awesome, Lisa! You've really been working your way down your to do lists! That is so cool you used up all your corks in fun gift projects. How neat!

I think 5 books a day is realistic. Doing them all at once would be overwhelming and really not the best use of your time. And eventually the pile will whittle away. smile

Susan will be thrilled at her gift of fabric!

What are your next categories to work on? So you've got corks, books and fabric under control.

PDM, I totally hear you about thousands of books. I keep bringing them to used book stores, trading them in at RV libraries...I will attempt to see about selling them on Amazon next. But still it is very very hard to part with books. I love them so!

BLR, we are totally stuff-gatherers and I would love to hear what you think about WHY we do this. is it some genetic compulsion?

Best Friend
Best Friend
Woot! Go Lisa! =P That's so cool. To be able to de-hoard and condense items!

I know my family (dad, mom, brother, me and hubby) moved into this wonderful house a few weeks ago. And it's got SO much storage space. BUILT IN BOOK CASES!! Can you believe it?? Oh I swooned when I saw those. I'm still working at setting a day to go down to the local library and donate my 3 boxes of old kids/teenager books... but have been working like crazy around the holidays, so you know how that is.

But.. I'll never get over it. =P I've been buying at least 2 books a week or two. I'm selling at least 7 now though on Amazon.

I highly suggest selling Jilly. It's a nice feeling to get money for the books you know you'll never use again.

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
[quote=jilly] BLR, we are totally stuff-gatherers and I would love to hear what you think about WHY we do this. is it some genetic compulsion? [/quote] I am pretty sure we have instructions to pick it up and take it with us. When we were nomadic we were limited to what we could carry. The decision to keep or not keep becomes just a matter of what we could carry and what is or isn’t important or useful. As we became more agricultural and built more and more permanent homes we had more room for the “neat stuff” we would find or make. The rest is history. :grin:

BLR #392799 01/03/10 09:08 PM
I
Gold Star Soulmate
Gold Star Soulmate
I
at the end of six months i have the philosophy if you havent used it ..get rid of it. Unlesssss its something to use in case of power out emergency or water or something of that nature ..natural disaster thing. Other wise it all goes

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
It is amazing when you realize that just because you have had something a long time does not make it of value, it just makes it old. If it did not have value to you to begin with (ie. special gift, childs creation etc.) then don't fall into the trap of it gaining value just because you have had it a long time.

BLR #394065 01/25/10 01:07 PM
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yes exactly BLR. One thing I do is take a photo of it. That way I can treasure the photo as a memory. I can then pass the actual physical thing along to someone who will love it and care for it.

Of course that being said, I had this model of a Mustang car I'd made a number of years ago. It was in the "to donate" pile. So I got some cloth and cleaned it up so that it would be in good shape to donate. Once I got it all cleaned and nice looking, I wanted to put it on a shelf in my office smile Still, better that it's being admired and enjoyed, vs dusty and abandoned in a back closet.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I think shows like Antiques Road Show and the big ebay stories lead everyone to believe that old=treasure.

I have all these 1942 dentistry books to unload, but i am afraid to just donate them. In the back of my mind I feel they must be worth something. As just an example.

BLR, i think you are right, and we do have internal instructions to pick things up and take them along. Stoopid thumbs. smile

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site