Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
My hubby just got back from six months in Florida and he is having a very hard time with the dry AZ air. Since it's winter, we also have the heat on and that makes the air dryer still.

I remember in my childhood in NY we used humidifyers in the winter, or when I was sick. Does anyone use these these days? What kinds do you use? Or are there inexpensive tricks to come up with some home solutions that add air humidity?

Do houseplants help?
Open containers of water?
A desk fountain?
Aquarium?
Look for used humidifiers at good will?

One thing we are doing tonight is boiling some water in an electric tea kettle for dan, in the bedroom, so there will be some nice hot steam added to the room for a while.

Do you use humidifiers and when? What kinds?

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I have three humidifyers in my home. One in our family room, one in the main part of the house and one in our bedroom.

You can get a humidifyer at Walgreens or probably any drug store that are pretty cheap. That is the kind we have in our bedroom. What I don't like about those is that they are on and that is it. My other two have a off on that is triggered by the % humidity.

Something else that is pretty cheap is a vaporizor. I also have a vaporizer in the bedroom for when my sinus problems flare up.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
What is a vaporizer?

And what part of the world do you live in - is it dry there normally?

I have not used one of these since coming out west and neither has my family. No one i see in the west uses them, even though it is desert-dry. So i have forgotten they even exist.

I just want my hubby to be more comfortable. I love it out here but it is too dry for him (among other things).

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I use a humidifier. It also has an ioniser & it helps with my allergies.
I bought it when we had our last kittens.
It's a plug-in electrical thing.

But I also use plastic containers, which can be filled with water and hooked onto radiators, or placed near other heaters.
Some are specially made, but any container can work.
The water evaporates into the air because of the heat.

So you can buy expensive devices, or just use old containers. smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Originally Posted By: jilly
What is a vaporizer?

And what part of the world do you live in - is it dry there normally?

I am guessing you do not have kids. A vaporized is either a cool vaporizer, or a warm vaporizer. I personally prefer the warm vaporizer. It is a device that warms water and adds warm water vapor in the form of steam to the air.

I live in Oklahoma. It is not normally dry here, but in the winter because it gets cold here, once we turn on the heat the air in the house gets really dry.

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Jilly - how do you heat your house? When we had a floor furnace we kept a pan of water on the grate of the floor furnace. Also when I had a stand alone heater in the bathroom, I used to keep a pot of water on top of that. Both of these will add moisture to the air.

We pump about four gallons of water into the air everyday with our humidifiers. It is so beneficial for sinus problems, dry skin, dry hair and static electricity. Good luck.

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Jilly - you husband is not only having trouble with the dry air, he is also having trouble with the 4K elevation. The elevation he will adjust to in a week or so.

Best Friend
Best Friend
Jilly, when I'm home I keep a pot of water simmering on the stove. It's the cheapest way to go.

Another thing, if you're going to buy something. Make sure it's a ceramic one. Apparently, other ones are bad for birdies. (or do you have birds?)

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Thank you for your advice and ideas, BLR and PDM! I like the idea of placing a pot of water on the floor furnace. We use propane.

Right, no kids, none planned. LOL. But I do seem to remember now those vaporizers from my childhood. Do they still sell those? I will keep a look out for a vaporizer and/humidifier in the thrift stores.

I think we need to have a few plants in Dan's office - any advice on which plants might put more humidity into the air?

At least I do not mind the dry air. For me this is normal air. smile

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Tweetymom, that is interesting about ceramics and birds. I used to have parrots, cockatiels and finches, when i was younger. My husband does not like birds, so i am now birdless. frown

I will go simmer some water right now! maybe even add some potpouri scent to it. smile

BLR, you are totally right also about the elevation. I didn't even think of that! He should adjust a little but he says he realy liked the 'soft' air of Florida, where he was living for six months. I would like to recreate some of that comfort for him in our home if possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site