RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
We have three humidifiers running right now and are looking into getting at least one more. As soon as winter hits here the air gets VERY dry and my boyfriend will literally wake up with a bloody nose because the skin got so dry in there. It would be unhealthy for our pets for the same reason, with their delicate little membranes.

Our humidifiers all auto-sense when to go on and off, so they only go on if it gets too dry.

You can get a humidity gauge for maybe $3 at your local WalMart. I would suggest getting one and seeing what your humidity level is to start with, so you know what you're dealing with!

I do have a desk fountain on my desk, but that is for stress, not for humidity. There are many times I am in here for 18 hours in a row just working - working - working and the fountain helps a bit with that.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Thanks for the info, Lisa. The normal humidity range in AZ is extremely low, and worse in the cold winter when the heat must be on. It does take some getting used to, and I really don't mind it.

But I think with Dan being so miserable here, i want to do what I can to make him comfortable.

In what rooms do you keep your humidifiers? How often do you have to fill them? Are they really loud?

I imagine your fountain does provide *some* moisture. I did mention getting one to Dan and he said they are too loud. So we'd have to find a really quiet one for him. He is very sensitive to machine sounds.

I hope your fountain helps you be less stressful! What kind of desk fountain is it? I am picturing something very Zen for you.

J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Well, we have managed to work out a solution that works for us - we keep a large pot of water (with a little bit of potpourri liquid) simmering. It seems to help the house keep a bit more humid. It seems to be enough for the hubbie.

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
We have experimented with a variety of humidifiers to find quiet ones. We have three downstairs - one in the kitchen, one in the living room and one in the office. Upstairs we have two - one in the bedroom and one in the hallway.

I am also sensitive to noise and we went through several fountains before we found one that I both liked visually and which has no pump noise. There are many "whisper" pumps out nowadays that are silent. Aquarium owners helped make that happen smile

I'll post a photo soon!

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Wow, that is five humidifiers? Do they require a lot of refilling with water and filters and such? It sounds like a lot of work.

I will tell dan there are silent fountains out there. It would be nice to not have to use something that uses up our expensive propane. smile

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yes five humidifiers. I think Bob fills each one every few days. He's in charge of that smile

If you go to a pet store you can see all the whisper quiet pumps they have nowadays, for fish tanks. That is in essence what runs a fountain.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Oh, I wanted to add that after I take a bath, I let the water sit in the tub overnight to evaporate into the house. It also seems to help, and provides a way to sort of 'reuse' the bath water.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
That's a great idea Jilly!

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
J
jilly Offline OP
Best Friend
OP Offline
Best Friend
J
Thanks, PDM. It really makes a difference.

An update on the using a pan of water on the stove: we've had to toss the pan we were using. Sometimes all the water evaporates and we end up with a hot burning pan. Even with the best of intentions to keep an eye on it, this happened, ever so often.

Also it uses up a lot of propane, which is not cheap. frown

Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Yes stoves rank right up there with dryers in terms of huge energy users. So that is probably very inefficient, to use a stove to vaporize water. It would probably save a ton of money to use an actual vaporizer which is designed to do that. Or just leave pots of water lying around smile

Plants are great. They actively give water out into the atmosphere over time. You do have to water the plants of course smile

Also, don't use a dryer! Hang your wet clothes around the house. That is a great natural humidifier and will save you tons of money by not running the dryer.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site