Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#390943 12/05/09 12:05 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I had forgotten how much coffee used to affect me, stress-wise.

I like a nice cup of coffee and I remember asking my Mum to get some for me, when I was only about 7 or 8.
She used to make it very weak, milky & frothy for me.

When I started at senior school, I used to have a stronger cup of coffee, every morning, with breakfast.
I had to set off at 7am and returned by about 5.30. After that I would have a couple of hours of homework, so I think I needed that morning cup of coffee.

At work, of course, it was coffee in the morning, at lunch, and sometimes in the afternoon ~ and one before I left home in the morning.

When I left work, and went to university, I discovered the hot chocolate machine and I stopped drinking so much coffee.
I also stopped feeling so stressed.

Except when visiting people.
Then, I would drink their coffee and return home with an anxiety attack.

When I suddenly realised what was happening, I read up on coffee, and discovered that there were two types: Arabica & Robusta.

I find, now, that one cup of Arabica is ok. I drink it if I have to drive, perhaps, and don't want to get drowsy.
It can prevent me sleeping, though, so I have it quite weak, or half & half with decaff.

I do think that, if you suffer with stress or panic attacks, then it would be worth looking at your coffee intake.
Changing to Arabica, reducing the amount & replacing with decaff can help, I think.

I'm drinking some decaffeinated Arabica at the moment.

Some info:

Coffee From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee

Arabica and Robusta Coffee Plant
http://www.coffeeresearch.org/agriculture/coffeeplant.htm

Robusta vs. Arabica
http://kaffee.netfirms.com/Coffee/robustavsarabica.html

Arabica vs Robusta: No Contest
http://www.ineedcoffee.com/02/arabica/

Last edited by PDM; 12/05/09 12:06 AM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
PDM #390947 12/05/09 12:12 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I agree completely, I know many people who cut out coffee from their life and suddenly their stress reduced greatly. I am sure different people have different sensitivities to it.

I used to drink a lot of coffee when I worked at high stress programming jobs where we were coding furiously all day and night. It really burnt me out. When I quit and started working from home I also cut out the coffee. Suddenly like was just SO much more serene.

If I have coffee when I'm out somewhere, giving in to peer pressure in essence, I can really feel my heart start to "trip" and not in a good way. So I really try to stay away from it now.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Lisa Shea #390951 12/05/09 12:17 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
I never really looked into the differences in coffee types, that is interesting. I do remember watching a good Good Eats episode once though (I think it was good eats..) where they went in to how a really good decaf coffee actually takes more work than a regular coffee, and is thus pretty expensive.

Good info though.

I had switched from coffee to drinking Earl Grey tea. It has a small amount of caffiene, but a whole lot more nutrients. When I went to that, I felt so much better in so many ways, even physically.

I messed up my tea strainer though, and went back to coffee. I drink 3+ cups a day now, and really need to stop! But can't. The withdrawal symptoms aren't fun at all.

Niki #391033 12/06/09 02:39 AM
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I changed over to decaf a few years back to lower my stress levels. Like, Lisa, when i rarely have a cup of coffee with full car, I can feel my heart racing. I can feel myself getting agitated. It's not what I want for my life.

I like flavored decafs like Hazelnut and vanilla. YUM!

I never wondered if I was drinking aribica beans, though. I assume they are. I don't want to drink robusta unless I don't have a choice. I will have to pay more attention when I am buying my coffees from the grocery.

jilly #391034 12/06/09 02:40 AM
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
Niki, I also like Earl Grey. It reminds me of one of my favorite TV characters, Jean Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise.

"Earl Grey, hot"

smile smile

jilly #391038 12/06/09 02:48 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I love KUSMI Tea. All their flavors are wonderful. Earl Grey is one of my morning favorites. Although I really like my French Vanilla in my Tassimo one cup maker. Yeah really addicted, but enjoy the fixes.

BLR #391047 12/06/09 03:18 AM
S
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
I love coffee. Decaf, regular, any kind. I make it syrupy strong, and just don't feel the same without a cup or two in the morning. My family jokes about my strong coffee and I have to remember that a lot of people don't like coffee as strong as I do. But I tend to be a laid back, phlegmatic sort of person and coffee doesn't seem to affect me much. It doesn't seem to matter to me anxiety-wise whether I choose decaf or regular.

I went to South America for work and loved the habit of enjoying demitasse sized cups of coffee in the afternoon.

I love tea, too, but that is more an afternoon drink for me. My new favorite flavor is Lady Gray.

skipperdog #391048 12/06/09 03:28 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
uuh if you worked in South America there are other "teas" that are wonderful.

BLR #391061 12/06/09 09:11 AM
Best Friend
Best Friend
I really love coffee. But in the last 15 years of my life, I have stomach issues off and on, so I can't always drink it. I do drink tea in the morning, though. I need some kind of kick then. Lately I've begun to keep Kenya and Sumatra coffees but, like I said, I can't drink them very often. I miss it. When I have to stop altogether for a while, the caffeine withdrawels are NOT fun!

I do love tea, though. At night when the weather is cold, I love Peppermint tea. So comforting and delicious.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
tweetymom #391067 12/06/09 05:26 PM
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
Tweetymom, have you tried some of the better decaf coffees? They taste the same. Can you drink those?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site