Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
PDM #397819 03/28/10 03:12 AM
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I do love to curl up and hold something page-like in my hand. I guess for me the Kindle is easier than a book - especially a thick book - because I don't have to hold the heavy book or manage the pages or turn them.

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I have thought about the Kindle and I do think it's a super neat idea. maybe you can bring yours to the gathering and I can try it out?

Best Friend
Best Friend
LOL. I've been avoiding this thread! But I may as well jump in here!

I am a semi terrible hoarder. I have this thing where I keep things in case something happens to the original thing. Lately though, I have run across some things that have either gotten broken in the process of moving things around, or it's become obsolete, or just plain started to dessintigrate! (sp).

I hate to let go of books that I really loved. Sometimes I loan them out and then I never seem to get them back. I read constantly. I used to take them to Half Price Books, and sell them, but it's almost not worth the time to do that. One time I took 75 paperbacks and hard cover books, and I got $7.75 for them.

I DO trade with a few people. So that is good, but not very often. I have visions of someday having a very large bookcase and that would be my "library".

I so have yard sales and do quite well on them. Usually I have them when I have no apartments to clean, as there are certain times of the year when people simply do not move, like between Nov. and Jan. However this year I've had work through these months, and things are building up! When people move, my boss lets me have things a tenant leaves behind, and when he has evictions. I've gotten very picky about what I will keep to sell now. If it isn't completely intact and clean and nice looking, I won't keep it.

In among these things, I find things that I want, even though I probably already have that item. This is where my hoarding comes in! Vacuume cleaners are one thing! At this time I bet I have 5 or 6 of them. They work, unless they might need a belt but they take space to store. I guess this would be a good thing to keep, since I use them in my job.

For years, even though I live in an apartment, I would buy seeds. No place to plant them but I miss having a veg garden and my own flower beds! I still have many of these seeds but I don't buy them any more!! haha

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I am pretty sure I brought my Kindle to past gatherings but certainly I can bring it again!

I am all for keeping books you love. I do have several full shelves of books. It's keeping giant piles of books, with ones you just don't read, that I think can be released. Just think - someone else might adore that book and read it weekly, if only they had a copy!

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
I never looked at your Kindle. You don't have to bring it if you have to many other things to bring, though! :-) I don't want to make your luggage any bigger. :-)

Tweetymom, I do love HalfpriceBooks. You don't get much cash but the credit for new books is much better.

If I was cleaning out other people's apartments I would be so bad - I would want to keep everything! But you can also decide what you do not need and bring those things to charity thrift stores. :-) I enjoy doing that. I can't give money to charities but I CAN give STUFF. lol

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
That is so very true - we all have something we can give to charity, whether it is stuff or time!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Best Friend
Best Friend
Re: charities. I have accumulated stacks of magazines! New ones, old ones, old ones even still in the wrapper. Initially I keep them thinking I should read them, but truthfully I only read a very few. I have tried to give them away, and you'd think more people would want them, especially the (older) new ones. But my friends are not having that!

My point is, thank you for reminding me that they exist, and as far as charities, in the past I have had the idea to take them to places that keep mags in their reception area. Or to places like AA recovery and detox hosp. At the Austin State School, where I worked for 4 years, many years ago, the residents or clients (I'm not sure of the politically correct term now days) are challenged in various ways, and they LOVE magazines. I wonder if they would have any rules about bringing those in.

I had some of those things with letters and numbers on them, used to change signs and I gave them to a church. All I wanted was $5 for a big box of them, but they asked me if they could have them, and I was glad just to be rid of them, and to do a good deed at the same time.

Last edited by tweetymom; 04/02/10 06:30 AM. Reason: typos

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
That's so very true Dinah, there are lots of places that would LOVE old magazines even to cut up for crafting projects. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box a little!

Lisa Shea, Owner
J
Best Friend
Best Friend
J
Dinah, that is something I have done too, brought magazines to dentist/doctor/clinic waiting rooms. It's a super easy solution and people surely must appreciate more options.

Also I'd try senior citizen homes.

Platinum Star Soulmate
OP Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
I have canceled all of my magazine subscriptions I think - but then we went to a bookstore today and I bought 8 issues. Two on yoga, three on Buddhism, one on "recycled item crafts" and one on polymer clay. So I figure I'll read them all, then forward them along to the matching BellaOnline editor to share the knowledge smile

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site