Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Liyla Offline OP
OP Offline
L
hi i met somone online about a year and a half ago and we have been talking ever since...and we really like eachother....i know alot about him and he knows alot about me adn we really like each other....he wants to come meet me in a month or two and he keeps sending mixed signals like he'll say he thinks thats we could hit it off and be more then freinds and then a couple days later he says hes not sure...so i guess im just looking for advice. anything would be very appreciated thank you

Great Friend
Great Friend
i would not meet him . but thats just me. (remembering assembaly about internet safety). ask your parents. they should know whats right and wrong

I Luv Budgies!
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hello Liyla smile

It would appear that some very successful relationships begin as online friendships.

On the other hand, some people are not who they seem to be.
Paedophiles & conmen have befriended females, who they have met online, for evil purposes.

This may be a nice young man, with whom you could get on very well ~ but you cannot be sure of that.

I would suggest that, if you do decide to meet up, you do not go alone.
And it would be worth finding a way to check him out & get to know the real him, before you take things any further or spend time alone together.

If you are a minor, you should discuss this with your parents.

Unless & until you meet & get to know each other, you cannot know how things will go, so he's probably right to be unsure.

Good luck ~ and be careful!

smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
L
Liyla Offline OP
OP Offline
L
nah im not minor im 22years old and ya...and ya thanx for the advice ive just never met someone from the net and ya. One of my friends ahve and she is now married and has 2 kids with the guy she met but ya i dont know

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I think, whatever your age ~ you are still relatively young, but even if you were older ~ because you don't know who this person is, it's as well to go along with someone else, if you meet up.

Also, I still think it would be a good idea to just see if it is possible to check that is is who he says he is.

Many people have successful relationships that begin online, but sadly, some have very negative experiences.

Apart from the perverts who use the Internet to groom their prey, there are those who use to it con women out of money. Hopefully these are in the minority and most people we meet online are ok, but, forewarned is forearmed, as they say. smile

Good luck.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
T
Silver Star Soulmate
Silver Star Soulmate
T
heh, I've been in your situation before.
I take it you two have quite the distance between you? Long-distance makes things a little bit harder cause there will be much more effort involved in actually meeting.

If you do decide to meet him, Make it clear that meeting up will be strictly introductory. If he's coming from out of town, he should definitely get a hotel room, don't let him expect to stay with you. Have a fall-back plan if things go awry or not as expected. Make sure someone (or a few people) know you are meeting him and where, and definitely do it in a public place. Give his name and number to someone who knows you are meeting him.

Having said all that, I met my ex-boyfriend online- though it was completely coincidental, not planned at all. we just happened to be on the same gecko forum and he lived 40min away. We met in person only a week after talking online, and everything was ok, but I did make sure to use caution.

Whatever you decide... good luck!

L
Liyla Offline OP
OP Offline
L
ya thanx for all the advice and ya dont worry when we talked about the meeting he was the one that told me he would be getting a hotel room in the first place....there was never a question where he would stay and he's the one that is very cautios about meeting people off the internet....when we first talked about meeting each other he said that we would have to talk for like a year or so to get to know eachother better before we met

C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
I would say that, while yes it is ALWAYS good to be cautious, a year and a half is a long time for a con to spend on one target. I think the odds are he is basically who is says he is. In as much as, are any of us really who we show to others, especially early in a relationship?

Meet him in a widely public place. Stay in a public place ALL during that meeting no matter how comfortable you feel. Be extra careful and good luck!!

L
Liyla Offline OP
OP Offline
L
ya thanx...already planned to meet in a public spot and i was gonna bring a good friend with me too....so should be fine..but to the later post....how am i supposed to find out if he is who he says he is? like how do ya find that out without making them upset about doubting them?

BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
You could say something like "this sounds silly but I promised my _______ (fill in the blank, Dad, Brother, Best friend) that I would look at some ID. It does two things, lets you see that he has ID in the name that he has given you and also lets him know that other people know about your meeting.

It will probably work out fine, and if he is one of the good guys he will not mind you being careful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site