RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
My nephew, if he behaves inappropriately, just sits alone in another room for 5 minutes. It gives him time to think and to realise that he's missing out on fun. He's safe and unhurt but is learning what is and isn't acceptable. He's 8. The time out must be immediately after the behaviour or it won't be linked in his mind. He knows how you feel, so, though there might usually be warnings, this might not, in this case, be appropriate, because it will remind him ~ put the thought in his mind ~ and he might not then be able to stop himself.

Yes, boys do find the strangest things funny ~ I have two boys, aged 18 & 22!

The eldest seemed very difficult when he was tiny, but is a lovely boy. Indeed, he always was; they both are. I think that his 'problems' were really mine. I had post-natal depression and, though I loved him dearly, I didn't like being a Mum at the time. I found it extremely hard.

He used to scream and be so demanding, but the thing is kids will sense if something is wrong and will test you to the limits to get the attention they crave from their Mums and to test their Mums' love to the limit.

Also, I understand that the more you tell a child not to do something, the harder he finds it not to do it. It's better to show pleasure at good behaviour than displeasure at bad behaviour. Diversion techniques are good.

If he looks about to vomit, say something like ~ oh dear, if you do that now, we won't have time to / be able to ... (choose something he likes, like going to the park, making models, etc). Always have a plan ready, that you can carry through to distract him.

Last edited by PDM; 09/12/08 07:51 AM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I totally agree with the distraction thing. Actually I think he continues to do it just to get a rise out of mom! So maybe if you don't make a big deal out of it and try not to overreact he'll stop. 'cause if he thinks it's not bothering you what's the point in doing it anymore? I know easier said then done right? But seriously it seems to me if he continues to do it, it's got to be bad for him...can't making yourself vomit all the time eventually damage your esophagus(sp)? So yeah try distracting him with something else if you think he's gonna do it. Or maybe make a deal if he doesn't do that anymore you will take him someplace special at the end of the week or something. You might even want to sit down and have a heart to heart as to "why" he finds it so amusing and explain to him that it can actually cause serious problems in his throat. I know he's only 8 but 8 year olds are alot smarter than you might give him credit for. smile Good luck.."Kids"..ya gotta love em!! They really do say and do the darndest things!

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
He's only 3, actually.

And yes, regular vomiting can damage the teeth as well.

Distraction and reward, rather than reaction and distress, would be best, I think.

Last edited by PDM; 09/12/08 02:36 PM.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
428pm Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
you misunderstand, he's not 8...He's just shy pf 3 wink I don't think any heart to heart will be happening, lol. But still very good suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site