RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
My fiance and I moved in with my roomate and good friend of three years starting this June. It has become the biggest mistake of my life.

First, she expected that her boyfriend could stay over 24/7 without paying a dime. I used to like Dan, honestly, but I didnt want or sign up fourth roommate and told her as much. I was VERY careful to make sure I was clear that it was nothing personal at all.

Before all this, I was a little irritated because she never invited us out any more; she never even invited me along on girls nights. Well, after the whole Dan situation, she stopped altogether. I talked to her about it once, she promise to change and I believed her; she never did.

Now, my fiance won't speak to her at all. I work with her (for her mom, actually) and therefore I have to speak to her, but I try to keep my distance as much as possible. I get more hurt every time I look at her, the way I feel she's betrayed me. What's worse, she acts like nothing at all is wrong. I don't know if she's so obtuse that she doesn't realize how much she's hurt me, or she just doesn't care. I should add that she knew when we moved up here, away from all our family and friends, that she was one of the few people we knew. I have essentially spent the summer alone and friendless.

I'm afraid if I try to talk to her I'll just scream at her, or curse her out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has brought a huge weight on my shoulders all summer.

Allison
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Sounds like a very stressful mess...

Do you think that you could try to "chill out" a bit and then take deep breaths and approach her about the whole thing?

In other words, if you can get to a point where you think you can broach the topic without screaming or cursing her out, then I think you might want to tell her exactly what you wrote: "I get more hurt every time I look at her, the way I feel she's betrayed me. What's worse, she acts like nothing at all is wrong. I don't know if she's so obtuse that she doesn't realize how much she's hurt me, or she just doesn't care. I should add that she knew when we moved up here, away from all our family and friends, that she was one of the few people we knew. I have essentially spent the summer alone and friendless."

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi lovebuzz1024 smile

Do you mind saying how this all came about?

I hope that you won't mind these questions, but the answers may help to clarify a few things.

Is it an apartment that you share rent for in three equal parts?

Did the three of you ago together to rent the place or did one of you already have it?

You say that you were room-mates ~ when was that?

Did Dan stay over then?

Did your fiance stay over then?

Does anyone else ever stay nights?

Did she stop inviting you out when you got engaged?

Would your fiance mind if you went out on girl nights ~ and does she know whether or not he would?

Does she feel left out, having to live with 'a couple'?

Does she have any complaints about the situiation?

Have you ever discussed any of this together ~ just the two of you, or with your fiance?

How does your fiance feel about sharing with one of your girlfriends?

When you decided to get a flat with her, did she know that you were engaged and that your fiance would be coming too?

Any more relevant info?

It will be easier to respond with a fuller story. smile

Good luck ~ it sounds awkward.

Last edited by PDM; 08/12/08 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
OP Offline
PDM -

Meg and I met when I was already engaged. We've been roommates for the past two years in a different (college) apartment. We made the decision - the three of us - to move in to an apartment, thus splitting the rent and cable and power and everything, three ways. Our couple-dom never bothered her before.

Meg and I used to do girls nights. We also used to do roomie nights, with Doug. Again, no issues there. If anything, she and Doug were always closer than she and I.

Dan and Doug were both usually at our old apartments on the weekends, only. But in the old apartment we were not paying for any utilities or cable or water or anything - it was essentially a glorified dorm. I never minded having Dan here on the weekends, but having a fourth person in a three person apt., especially a fourth person showering and using all the hot water, really killed us utility-wise. He was not and has not paid anything.

I could care less if Meg wanted to have 30 people sleeping over every weekend, but unlike a lot of college kids (apparently) the fact that I am up by 8:30 at the latest on the weekdays and often have to be at the newspaper offices before then makes it difficult to share shower/kitchen/living space with yet another person. I'm kicking myself for not seeing the "three's a croud" problem before, but to be honest, I didn't think she and Dan would last. They had ony just started dating when we signed the lease. (He's 26 and she's 20 - so he is not in college and basically has no job to speak of with required attendance.)

But really, my problem with Meg stems from the fact that we were such good friends and she dropped me like a hot potato. I'm just so angry about it all the time, and now I'm stuck living with her until next June when I graduate. I want to think we could be friends again, but I just don't know if I can trust her.

Allison
OP Offline
Pudgie's Mom-

Thanks for your response. I know, deep down, I'm not going to stop being angry until I do talk to her about it. It's just hard when I did once - back in June - and she never did anything.

I found a quote today that made me think of the whole situation: "Resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other person dies." I think that's what I'm doing to myself until I find a way to spit it up.

What does anyone think about writing her a letter? That's the other option I'm thinking of. I am a writer and think my thoughts would come out much more collected and composed if I did it that way.

Allison
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi Luvbuzz

Yes, hindsight is a great thing.

I agree with you about 'three's a crowd' ~ especially, I think, when two of them are a couple & two of them are girl-friends. It's a very uneven grouping.

I suppose, from her point of view, she's just having a guest to stay over and she feels that she is entitled to do that, whenever she likes.

If it were occasionally, then it wouldn't be so bad, but if he's using your hot water on a regular basis, then that simply isn't fair.

From Dan's point of view, it sounds like free board and lodging for a man with no job.

Personally, I think that a letter is a good idea, not only will it avoid all the emotion, it will also make it more business-like.

If he is staying 24/7, and using the utilities, then it seems that you have two almost identical options:
As it has now become, in effect, a four-person home, the rent needs to be either shared four ways, between the four individuals, or alternatively, shared two ways, between the two couples.

You might state that, as it has become a four-person home, it makes it more difficult to access the shower, etc, so those who have to go to work or classes must be able to access washing facilities first in the mornings.

If you make it clear that this is just a financial / business matter and does not reflect at all on individuals, she should, hopefully, be able to see the logic of it.

Now my take on the personal relationship part of it.

I don't think that I would ever have considered sharing somewhere with a friend and her boyfriend ~ certainly not unless I had a partner there with me.

I would have felt extremely uncomfortable and would have found it difficult to know what to say.

If I wanted to go out, I wouldn't want to tag along with a couple ~ and I wouldn't have felt right asking the girl to come out. It would either mean (as I would see it) dragging a girl away from her boyfriend, to keep me company, or inviting her and ~ rudely ~ leaving him out.

I think that it is a very difficult situation, and she may now be regretting the whole thing, too.

Without her boyfriend, she is like a spare wheel & the house doesn't work socially; with him, the house doesn't work financially or logistically.

If you can discuss all this calmly, then you may be able to retain and renew your friendship.

You are right that resentment does no good.

As for her saying nothing, when you brought the matter up before, maybe she felt that there was nothing she could say to put things right ~ for the very reasons I mentioned above.

And your fiance isn't speaking to her, which isn't going to help.

They say that, if you can't say something good, don't say anything. Maybe she isn't enjoying this any more than you are but can't admit to making a mistake, because she doesn't want to offend you and you are all stuck with the commitment until next summer.

The friendship was not going to stay the same. You went from being a couple of young girls sharing an apartment, without the responsibility of utilities, to a couple of girls renting with more responsibilities. But not only that. You are now a male/ female couple sharing with an extra girl. You may have been engaged, but he wasn't living with her. And she now has a boyfriend. When you shared before, it was a more informal relationship. All this means that your relationship with her was bound to change.

It may be that no-one is really to blame for this, except in believing that a couple and a female friend could happily share for a year. This isn't an ideal situation and now you are all paying the price until next June.

You are all going to have to talk this out and find a compromise somehow.

Good luck! smile

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site