Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#311914 07/22/08 09:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I've been seeing this guy for three months, and all of a sudden, he told me he just wants to be friends. I was SO hurt because I really like this guy... and I miss the times we spent together. He made time a week after the breakup to talk to me about the whole situation, and i really appreciated that...
He told me it was a hard decision for him b/c i'm important to him, and we decided to just be friends. Honestly, I am still not completely over it. I am still hurt everytime I think about how he doesn't care about me anymore. Afterall, he doesn't call anymore... usually, it's me calling him, and we talk a lot less on the phone. I guess i'm just hurt by the thought that he wouldn't care about me as much and that i'm not special to him anymore...
am i wrong to think this way? I am really confused... i really don't know how to act in front of him... i want to play cool, but i know i really am not...

charlene_1122 #311922 07/22/08 12:32 PM
E
Regular
Regular
E
I know this is going to be hard to do, but stop calling him. Make him call you. Every time you call him, he knows he still has you on the side. Focus your attentions else where for a while and let him see that you can go on without him. Start going out with your girlfriends or even your parents, sometimes they make the best friends, especially after a break up.

Every day may not be good, but there's some good in every day.

Author Unknown
Eliz #311940 07/22/08 01:56 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Hi Charlene & welcome.

I agree with Eliz.

Breaking up with someone you care for is a horrible experience ~ especially if you still want to be in a relationship and he doesn't.

The thing is, you cannot force yourself, or someone else, to have romantic feelings about a person. If he doesn't feel a romantic attachment towards you, he cannot help it ~ that's life.

You cannot help the way you feel either.
Unrequited love is sad, but common.

Remember, while it hurts now, long-term it would not be pleasant to be in a relationship with someone who is not feeling the same way you do.

Of course it hurts not to feel special to him any more, but you will still be special to your loved-ones ~ your family and close friends.

As Eliz says, spend time with them.

Be polite when you see him, but don't phone him.

You are not wrong to feel as you do.
You are bound to feel confused.
And I am not at all surprised that you do not know how to behave in his company ~ it must be very awkward for you.

If you can't play cool ~ and I understand why you would want to, but can't ~ then just try to be polite to him and then find other people to talk to.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
charlene_1122 #312054 07/22/08 08:27 PM
C
OP Offline
C
thanks for your advice guys =]
actually, i tried not calling him for a week, and then when i saw him at a gathering, i tried to pretend that i can move on without him. When he saw that i didn't take the initiative to say hi, he came over to say hi...
maybe i'm just thinking too much.. but i hope that's a sign of care... i just wish that we can still remain close friends, but it doesn't help that he doesn't put an effort into building a friendship (like he said he wishes when he broke up with me)...

charlene_1122 #312066 07/22/08 09:07 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Charlene - it is next to imposible to be "friends" when one of the people still wants a relationship. If you really want to be friends then you will have to let go of the "relationship" that you had before. Once you do that then if it meant to be you may still be friends.

charlene_1122 #312101 07/22/08 11:15 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you BLR =]
what you guys are saying really make sense, and I know what I have have to do...
It's just that sometimes, it feels so wasted (?) because he is the one who started the relationship, but I feel like I am the one who invested more emotionally, and he ended it...
sometimes, it feels so unfair i guess. but that's how life is, isn't it? =/

charlene_1122 #312143 07/23/08 02:03 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, I'm afraid that you are right there.

But give yourself time and you will find someone who really is right for you. smile

charlene_1122 #312615 07/24/08 02:37 PM
E
Regular
Regular
E
For some reason, we as females, tend to, most of the time, invest more emotionally. There are a few guys out there who do the same thing.

I think in a way, it is instinctive. Men were taught to go off to war/hunt and not think of their families at home, for thousands of centuries. The women were taught to stay home and wait on their men.

Every day may not be good, but there's some good in every day.

Author Unknown
Eliz #312618 07/24/08 02:42 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes, Eliz, that does seem to be the case, but I think that males can be more emotionally involved than they let on.

I have two sons of 18 & 21 and they are more sensitive that I imagined boys to be when I was a young girl.

My friends indicate similar things about their sons.

I think that females make assumptions that males are able to remain uninvolved and unemotional, and males tend to live up to those assumptions.

Not always, of course.

charlene_1122 #312945 07/25/08 08:30 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I agree with what you guys are saying... I've never really noticed, but I guess women do tend to invest more emotionally than men. or if men are sensitive, they don't seem to show it...
Last night, my friends had a party, and he was invited. But right when I started my car, he called to tell me to let the hosts know that he was not going... I was thinking to myself, "Why don't you just tell the hosts yourself??" He has their contact information, but he called me instead to have me tell them... And it confuses me - What does he want?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site