RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Okay...this is kinda long, but I REALLY would love some feedback on my situation, so here goes:

met my boyfriend thru friends 2 years ago. The very first hour we met, I learned a lot about him - mostly about how his dad lives in another state than his mom and the whole family thinks he has a secret life there and how my ex would NEVER do that to a woman - EVER! (that should've been a warning sign) He started pursuing me right away - in fact he was way more into me at the beginning than I was into him. We lived about 2 1/2 hrs. from each other, so we could only see each other on the weekends. The first weekend he came down to see me (the weekend right after he met me), he brought me a present (a t-shirt I really wanted of my favorite baseball team w/ my favorite player's name on teh back). I thought it was sweet how he was trying to woo me. He told me he was with a friend when he bought it and his friend thought he was crazy cause we hadn't even made plans to see each other again, yet, but my ex said I was "different" and there was something "special" about "this one".

He continued to court me and within one month we were officially boyfriend and gfriend. we saw each other every weekend and truly fell in love. We met each other's families and even spent that Xmas with both sides. By our first Valentine's Day, we had both said I love you (although he said it first several times before I said it back). He started dropping hints about marriage and the future - wanting to plan vacations, etc. He even started talkinga bout moving in together.

Finally, we decided to move in together - in between where we both lived so that we could both keep our jobs. Then, he got a job offer in another state. I got really upset at first, as I felt he made a commitment to me to live together (and I had already gotten out of my old lease). He felt bad, but thought I was crazy and talking like we were married - which we HAD talked about as we were going to move in together. Needless to say, when I calmed down we decided we'd both go. It was moving us both back closer to our families and I wanted to go back in that direction, anyway, so I felt it was a good move for me.

So, after a year together, we moved in together in a new state. I thought it was going well, but we started fighting over silly things. The worst was right before Xmas (after only 2 months of living together) he all of a sudden said he didnt want to spend the holiday with my family, too. I was crushed! Here we were living together and he couldn't be at my family holiday, as well? I wanted to share in both sides' festivities! After about 5 months of living together I could tell something was really "up", tho. He was so depressed - and he even admitted to "just not being happy". But, he said he assured me it wasn't us. So, time passed.

My dad got sick and we had to go to the hospital ER one night unexpectedly. He came with me, but I could tell he didn't want to - a few weeks later during a fight, he ended up admitting to me that he felt I was being dramatic and there was no reason for him to be there with me! Can you believe that? Here he is supposed to be my support system and he couldn't be with me in my time of need?!

He kept growing more and more distant and ended up going on a couple of business trips. One he was with another coworker but the second he went by himself. Both times, tho, he couldn't seem to pick up the phone when I called. I mean I can understand iif he's out to dinner, but one night he was at a bar w/ perfect strangers getting drunk. It made me feel unimportant and low. So we ended up fighting over the phone about it and I told him I just wanted to be a priority in his life - he retaliated telling me he doesn't have ANY priorities!

When he got back he started spending more time with friends, but he wouldn't invite me along (even if other gfriends were going). It was like I couldn't be a part of that life of his. And, he would be sketchy about it, too. He wouldn't lie about where he was going or with who, but he wouldn't give out details, either. The sex even started to lessen and there were SEVERAL times that he would end up finishing himself off . . . ??? He made some comment about maybe it would help if I wore matching bras/underwear every day (which, is not an easy thing to do and that's just bizarre)

Another month after that we took a week break. He said he loved me and he'd want me back after the week was up. The week came and went and at the end all I got was "I can't do this. I'm just not ready." He ended up crying more than I did (which for a man that shows NO EMOTION EVER was a lot)! We went back adn forth for a few days, he started finding silly faults in me - telling me I was messy or telling me it may have helped if I wore matching bras/underwear every day (that one was just BIZARRE!) or saying we were just "too different" but not explaining further when asked.

The most I got from him was that he was afraid of getting hurt. That he thought I'd leave him??? then he moved out. But he only moved himself out - not his things. After a month of him finding every excuse to come by (like to get clothes for work) I had had enough. He told me he thought we'd break up but still get married one day and that was my breaking point! How could he do this to me?! So I forced im to move EVERYTHING out. He did and we basically started talking / seeing each other even more. It ended with a wonderful night out to dinner (and yes, sex after). But, the hooking up made us both nervous and awkward, so we decided we should do it again sometime w/out that. But, then he kept kising me and telling me he missed me, etc.

The next night we both ended up out with friends in teh same place, and after a long night of drinking it obviously ended very ugly. He said he just wanted it to be over, and I told him I deserved better. And, that was that.

We basically haven't had much contact since then - in fact, we really haven't had any contact in a month now (sans the closing of the apartment we once shared).

For a long time now I have felt this was all my fault. I've believed all the silly things he complained about (the messiness, the temper at times, the coffee spills in his car). But, after reading up on commitmentphobes I feel like he really fits the bill. The more I look back on the relationship, the more I realize he was pretty closed off emotionally from the beginning - and although I believe some women (and men) may use commitmentphobia as an excuse for a failed relationship I do think an emotionally closed off person TRULY IS AFRAID of commitment. From teh beginning he pursued me, but if I pursued him back (i.e. called him instead of waiting for him to call me) he wouldn't answer. It's like he loved me one minute, but then didn't want me to be around him the next. He even told me he felt I was like a puppy dog at times always around him, so I started really backing away and then all I would get would be text messages from him saying "I wish you were here". And beyond our relationship, he could never commit to doing ANYTHING - so if I wanted to make weekend plans, we couldn't cause he felt something better may come up. It was so confusing and it makes me think he really does have a deep problem with commitment and intimacy. Any opinions?cnfsdnluv

S
Friend
Friend
S
Short answer/response:
Without putting labels to anybody, I would say that it wasn't necessarily that he was afraid of commitment, but rather that he liked the idea of a healthy, long-lasting relationship than the actuality of one.

I do not think the break-up was your fault since it sounds like you tried to work through it some, but he wasn't responding and was effectively pushing you away at the same time.

As for the "silly" things... my take is that people in a lasting relationship will have to make some changes to their lives, but they also need to accept quirks about the other person, and just learn to love them, or at least accept them as part of life and part of the person you love.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on...
-Omar Khayyam
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
H cnfsdnluv.

It doesn't sound as if this is your fault ~ though there are two sides to every story.

It just sounds as if he has changed his mind about what he wants ~ whatever the reason may be.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site