RomanceClass Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JXB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was in a relationship for nearly 20 years. We did not get along, fighting daily over little details. I was not neat and organized, she was. I was a spacey musician, she was a somewhat together visual artist. She was the second woman I had a relationship with. Aside from all the fighting, I was curious about physical relationships with other people. I had an affair, but was not comfortable doing that, it was very stressful. I broke it off. However, I felt that the romance was missing in the relationship, and developed crushes on a series of women who I felt were much more compatible. I had a few short affairs when I traveled. I realized the physical relationship I had with her was not that good for me. I tried to improve it, but it was a matter of physical chemistry or something - some people are more physically compatible than others. She was happy with our physical relationship, but I was not. She was very hurt my my affairs and crushes, but still wanted to make the relationship work. Finally, after nearly 20 years of arguing and trying to find ways to escape (I couldn't afford the mortgage and my own place too) I got a job in another city a few hours away. Because I was afraid of how angry she would get, sometimes to the point of violence, and how she would find a way to talk me out of moving and taking another job, I avoided breaking up with her till I had finished moving the bulk of my equipment to my new place.

I met someone else I liked immediately, a day later, and got physically involved.

My ex is devastated. I still feel connected to her, and I feel that my actions are hurting her, but I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to talk to me, or at least that is what she says. I wish I could have ended it better, but I was really afraid of her anger. In fact I still have this fear she might show up in my city with a knife or something... But at the same time I still care for her, I don't want her to suffer because of what I am doing to try to make myself a happier person. Calling her seems to make things worse, yet several times I had a strong feeling to call her, and I think it was the right thing to do.

When I went to pick up more of my things she looked very bad, she was suffering alot. I don't know what to do besides send her money when she needs for the bills, but I don't want her to kill herself either, she admitted to me that she sometimes feels that way.

So: I was "bad". I'm in a relationship now where things are pretty good, and I don't feel the need to go out and find something "better". I didn't end it well, but I could use some help in trying to promote healing in myself and her. The pain I feel about how badly I ended it - abruptly and jumping into another relationship with someone I met the next day - is interfering with my current relationship and my level of happiness at work.

PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
A twenty-year relationship is quite something and it's difficult to know what to say.

I wonder how she would have worded this if it had been her post?

We have a story of daily arguments, no romance, potential violence and a series of affairs. Why did she want it to last if you were hurting her so much and she could see that you were unsatisfied or unhappy? It could not have been good or positive for either of you.

You hurt her yet she wanted to save the relationship ~ she must have loved you very much or been very attached to you ~ and it seems that she still is.

It sounds as if you rather disappeared out of her life, rather than ending the relationship properly ~ so maybe there is a lack of 'closure'.

After twenty years I'm not surprised that you still feel somehow 'connected' to your ex. And you are bound to be concerned if you really believe that she might kill herself or harm you or your new partner.

This is complex ~ and with a risk of threat to life, apparently. I don't think that this can be solved via forum. Can you get some kind of counselling ~ even though the relationship is over?

Can you get some proper advice on the potential violence, and on her risks to herself? This needs to be given a lot of serious thought ~ the sooner, the better.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
J
JXB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks. I wonder if there is a "properly" way to end a relationship. Seems like only if you are very lucky. We have worked things out a little bit better since I posted, just writing the above helped me to think about what was really important and to communicate with her in a more positive, helpful way.

Thanks very much for your kind response.

- J

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Latest Posts
Avoid Ghosting a Person
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:22 PM
Go To A Museum
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 06:17 PM
In Sickness and in Health
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:05 AM
i like my ex's friend
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 05:03 AM
Getting Closer to a Sibling
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:59 AM
Daily Yoga
by Lisa Shea - 11/11/21 04:54 AM
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas
Non-Romance Relationships
Does He/She Like Me?
Dating
Long Term Partners
Breaking Up
Health and Exercise
Organizing and Cleaning
Stress Reduction

Newsletter
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Advertising
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site