From watching 11 seasons of Biggest Loser I do think that for someone who is not aggressive naturally, that physical venting seems to help. Jillian makes people hit or kick things, makes them scream and cry - and what follows seems to be an emotional catharsis. Now even Bob is doing it. For a lot of those overweight folks, this is the first time they have allowed themselves to express something they have kept bottled inside.

So for those bottlers, as you said above, having a release valve can be an extraordinary path to growth.

For people who are more aggressive naturally, perhaps screaming into your pillow or hitting the punching bag only serve to rev them up. Or maybe it helps them get everything out in a safe, socially acceptable way. They can get it out of their body and minds and no one gets hurt. smile

I typically vent verbally when stressed out. Some see it as complaining, and I do feel there is a difference. I really try not to complain. However, venting is rewarding when you do it with friends/family who are sympathetic and empathize with you. I suppose that is my reward for doing it.

I have tried in the last few years to keep an eye on my venting. I would agree it's not productive for problem-solving. But I am a very emotional person. When I feel emotional there are no rational answers for me. Being rational with me when i am emotional only annoys me.

I am married to a rational, non-emotional person and we have constant discussions over my need to vent. I try to take myself away from him when I am emotional, since I know we will only both end up upset at the other.

I have other ways to let the emotions settle, like yoga and walking. But I note those are physical actions. I seem to need to move my body to work out the adrenaline caused by whatever triggered my emotional upset.