Jilly, when your composting, try to put some manure or green things in there. It must reach a temp very high in order to decompose things in there, and manure will help it reach that temp. (I'm not sure I remember the exact temp,) but if you do not, you should use some kind of fertilizer when you use it in the ground or in a pot. Also, it will cook faster and more evenly if you turn it every few days or when you get the chance.

You can find manure easily enough. Find someplace that keeps horses or chickens or turkeys, and ask them if you can muck out the stables or cages or whatever.

Bat guana is the hottest manure. I don't like to use it because you can only use a tiny bit. poultry manure is really good to use, but I like to use horse manure because you can use a lot of it, and the more manure in your compost the better it will be.
Just make sure it has completely decomposed before you use it. Also, if it's not decomposed, it will take nitrogin from the soil in the process of decomposing, thereby taking nutrients from your plantings.

Look it up. That way, you will be sure to have all the info you need, in case I left something out. I used to do all these things, but now in an apt complex, and in the city, not so much! It's my dream to live in the country and be able to do all the things I used to be able to do.

Last edited by tweetymom; 12/17/09 04:08 AM. Reason: added something relevent

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin