I am certainly not talking about yelling, or putting down others. By venting I mean talking on and on about my poor little pathetic life situations.

It doesn't make me feel any better, true, but often leads to a helpful conversation with someone with a suggestion for me. And it helps me feel less alone. I am pretty much alone all day every day. So this is one way to feel connected to others.

Actually, a venting email I sent to my mom today resulted in her helping me out. She called my propane company to straighten something out, and called in my meds for me. These were things that were twisting me up inside and she easily made those phone calls so i would not have to get upset. So in that sense, my poor-me whining resulting in getting actual useful help.

I think what I need to learn to do for next time, is to sit down and figure out what exactly I need help with, and then figure out if someone can actually do something for me, and then ask. Instead of moaning on and on about my stress, I can try to be proactive, yes?

Tweetymom, I completely agree with you that words are power, and that what we speak of we make real in our lives.

Lisa, i really am learning to avoid getting started down the paths that trigger my stress, even if it makes me seem a bit weird. If I can replace those trigger situations with some of the healthy stress-relievers I mentioned, I think I will be on the road to feeling mentally healthy.

Good point about the traffic jam!

Tweetymom, does saying to yourself, "think about it first" come naturally yet, or is that not yet a firm habit?

Last edited by jilly; 11/05/09 07:57 AM.